• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Reloading 308

jcountry

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
13   0
Reaction score
I have a few hundred rounds of hirtenberger 308. Shoots very well in my Savage model 10.

My cousin is working on getting set up in reloading. I am kinda thinking about getting him to reload this brass. Looks like excellent stuff.

I am wondering about the cost. I know it isn't very cost effective for some calibers like 9mm and 223, but what about 308? That stuff ain't cheap. Anyone done much handloading in 308? Is it worthwhile for that caliber as far as cost?

-Thx

I handload my 308 ammo when I'm looking for precision. I still buy bulk factory when the goal is plinking. At my last cost analysis, each precision load costs me ~$0.35 (for the bullet, primer and powder) vs >$1.00 for good factory match ammo, but I primarily reload when I want to squeeze the last bit of accuracy out of my rifles. The cost advantage is really secondary.

I can get steel 308 for about $0.35/round when purchased in quantities of 1000 so it's not worth it to me to reload in bulk.

Right now my go to round runs about .50 cents. Fed 210 primers, varget powder and Sierra 168 MatchKings. I can load these for half the cost of factory and these are more consistent for my rifles. I run them in a M1A & Rem700 LTR. The way I see it is I reload for accuracy and if there's not accuracy then there's no point in reloading rifle rounds.

Right now my go to round runs about .50 cents. Fed 210 primers, varget powder and Sierra 168 MatchKings. I can load these for half the cost of factory and these are more consistent for my rifles. I run them in a M1A & Rem700 LTR. The way I see it is I reload for accuracy and if there's not accuracy then there's no point in reloading rifle rounds.

What he said.

Back
Top Bottom