• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Reloading 7.62x51 has me scratching my head

Now this is interesting. I went down the basement and pulled out some old load books..

Hornady Handbook of Cartridge reloading 4th edition lists the load as follows......noting that they make no mention of primers
150gr FMJ
IMR 4895 starting load 2400fps 38.5gr
IMR 4895 max load 28000 fps 42.7gr

But here is the load data from Hodgdon which as you can see are quite a bit hotter.

150 GR. NOS BT IMR IMR 4895 .308" 2.800" 42.6 2631 42,300 PSI 47.3C 2920 57,700 PSI

So the starting load on Hodgons site is .01grn under the MAX load in the Hornady manual. Add in the fact that I was using magnum primers, and it is no wonder the load was so hot.
xxx
It looks like I screwed myself up by trusting new technology and not breaking out the old books. My Lyman manual puts the starting load at 40gr and has a max load listed at 45grains. Both books are considerably more conservative than what Hodgdon has listed on their "reloading data" website.

The Hornady book confirms I am on the right track. I managed to pick up a 1000 #34 primers this morning as well as 1000 #200 LR primers. I would prefer to use the #34 primer since these loads are for a semiautomatic military rifle, so I will keep in mind the fact that they are in fact magnum primers while working up the load. If I have to, I will use the #200 LR primers to get the velocity and accuracy I am looking for, but would rather use the harder military style primers.

Most importantly, the Hornady book confirms that 2400fps is an acceptable load for 150gr bullets.

you might want to look at AA 2520 it was designed specifically for service rifles.

max for 168 Sierra is right around 42 gr also with the 175s. 41.something is max.

try it and you'll most likely like it a lot

sierra data

http://www.6mmbr.citymaker.com/f/sierra308Win.pdf

A time tested load in NRA Highpower Rifle competition is 41.5 grains of IMR4895 with a 168 Sierra Matchking

Last edited:
I'd still look at a different brand of new commercial .308 brass.

It may not make any difference, but what's a few rounds of Winchester or Remington commercial brass?

I'd still look at a different brand of new commercial .308 brass.

It may not make any difference, but what's a few rounds of Winchester or Remington commercial brass?

Yeah, I have some commercial brass I am going to play with as well. I am much more confident now that I have dug out the ol Hornady Reloading manual. The PPU brass is awesome because it is so hard, but it suck to resize for the same reason.

I'm with CD the PPU brass may be your issue with high pressure.. I really am not familiar with it's case capacity compared to Lake city or Win brass which is pretty much all I run in my 308s

we've run a ton of IMR 4895 with 150 Noslers with 42.5 gr. in bolt guns.. Not a service rifle... I'd suspect somewhere around 39.5 using Win brass and 150-155 gr would work well. all I use are the std Win primers today although in the past I used a ton of their std/mag combo primers

I just pulled all the 250s from my brass and replaced them with Federal 210s (LR). I am going to use Hornadys load data and start working up from the bottom again. Thanks for the help guys. On a side note, I will NEVER use Hodgdons web site for load data again. I can't believe their starting load is only .01 grains below Hornadys MAX load.

On a positive note, while at the store I figured since I already had a crap ton of magnum primers, I picked up some powder and 180s for my 300 Weatherby Magnum. I haven't touched the big belted magnum since my last Elk hunt in 2003 and figured it might be fun to work up a new load for. I don't know what I will do with it once I build up a load since it is WAY too much gun for anything in Georgia, but it might be fun to make loud noises at the range and beat up my shoulder.

I have about 500 pieces of brass for it that I have accumulated over the years, so might as well work up a load and load them all. Figure 500 rounds of 300 WBY mag should outlast me and the gun. :thumb:

150s might be fun out of the belted magnum as well. There is something cool about a 150gr bullet traveling at 3400 feet per second. ;)

Last edited:
I looked in my 45th edition Lyman Reloading Manual.
308win 150gr IMR 4895 starting load 40.0grs 2403 FPS 32,000 C.U.P. Pressure.
Max load 45.0grs, 2777 FPS 50,000 C.U.P. Pressure

When using military brass I always reduce my starting load by 5%.
I have never used magnum primers but if I remember correctly I would also reduce by 5%.

Back
Top Bottom