• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Reloading range pick up?

lots of opinion and it's your choice. a lot of the brass at indoor ranges has probably been shot a few times, as I would guess that 50%+ of the shooters are using the range ammo, usually atlanta arms and georgia Arms. They are getting the brass from the ranges, and "recycle it". Look at their boxes sometime, it's a total mix of headstamps (or it was the last time I actually purchases ammo at a range).

If you are good about looking over the brass for any issues, don't load on the upper end of the scale and just want some "plinking" ammo, I say go for it.

If I am going to load up some hotter loads, something for hunting, or just some good ammo, I usually only use brass that I know the history. Things like typical rifle hunting calibers, pistol magnum calibers, etc.

But 380, 9, 40, and 45 I have no issues with picking stuff up and using it after it's been cleaned and inspected.

Why waste perfectly good brass? Range brass typically I don't reload.... to maximum pressures. Yes there will be brass a reloader who has pretty much used up. I see a lot of .38 super brass that is pretty much toast. Handgun lower pressure brass is not as much as issue as high pressure rifle.

The issues I have came across and my dad before me is that handgun brass will split when it's usefulness has come to an end. I have yet to see lower pressure handgun split brass at "normal" pressures be a serious issue. I mix the handgun brass head stamps as it is really not an issue either.

High pressure rifle brass is another issue and I exercise more caution but can't let it go to waste either and have picked up at times literally hundreds of once fired with the same head stamp at some ranges. Brass at the end of its life will often form a faint ring that will occur near the base, warning of impending separation.

After looking at thousands and thousands of brass cases some tend to stick out a bit. Those are the ones to toss in the trash or recycle bin.

These are cases that shouldn't be reloaded. The .45 case at the top was broken down and the case tossed. What the heck was the guy thinking on the lower case?

i57.tinypic.com_2cwwxap.jpg

Last edited:
I shoot mainly .45 Auto and get the best results with a mild load. I don't think I have ever bought brass and it's been a while since I have bought ammo. Some of my cases probably have a dozen reloads on them, I don't keep track, just inspect for cracks and signs of over pressure...

If you're going to use range brass, make sure you sort and store them in appropriately marked containers. And recheck when you pull them out to use.

I once found 50 empty cases for some caliber I can't remember, but they fit nicely into the extra 44 mag box I had. A year or so later I was loading a cartridge into my 44mag and it didn't feel right, had a strange ridge on one side where the bullet pushed the case wall out. I'd gone through the empties and dumped them into the cleaner before loading, but had forgotten about the odd sized ones - the box was for 44 mag though.

I was glad I found it before firing because these were very hot loads (at max), but wondered what would have happened if.... I then went through the fired rounds and found one. After I stopped shaking and thanking Thompson Center for making such a strong pistol I went through and found the other 48 (empty) cases and put them in a baggie that I immediately gave to a friend. I've kept the fired case on my reloading bench ever since as a reminder.

I use range pick up brass. Just carefully inspect it after a thorough cleaning. Never had any problems at all with any of it. However I would not use rifle brass that showed multiple firings. As for basic pistol; 9mm, .38/357, .40, .45 ACP I see absolutely no problems with using it.

As a side note - I have .45 ACP brass that has probably been reloaded a dozen or more times. I continue to use it until the case mouth either splits or becomes too worked to properly crimp on a bullet.

Absolutely ditto what Crubear just posted. Inspect all cases carefully !

Regards,

Rob

As you gain experience you will begin to see the folly of all reloading manuals. Have yet to meet a book max that was gun max. Also, online load data. If you are gonna use it, start low and work up too it. I almost sent a low serial garand to the scrap heap. Factory load of imr 4895 in 1942 does not compute to 2012 imr 4895. Stuck the case, flattened and cratered the primer with gas leakage. I was close. That is my reminder case.

Brass.jpgmy one of over 10K uh o's from range brass, happened last week during a competition, luckily no damage other then to prisde and added time on the timer. I always load 45's soft to just under 800 fps too to allow quicker sight re-alignment, of course in a Glock 41 with that unsupported chanmer area.

Use common sense and examine the cases for signs of weakness and over pressure. Trim to length. If it splits, throw it out. (Personally, I look at cleaning brass as a cosmetic luxury.)

Back
Top Bottom