Remington 700 firing without pulling trigger?

I have talked to Remington about this last year.
It is due to a faulty adhesive that is on some internal parts..it breaks down and causes the malfunction..
Give Remington a call, they will give you the dates involved, then check your serial number for for mfg date., or vice versa if you want to know that before you call.
If you predate the bad adhesive , you're good to go...if not Remington will fix it .

Seriously? There isn't a single firearm on the planet that can't be made unsafe by some dumbass messing with it. The same is true of practically every other mechanical devise. These are firearms and the only way to make them idiot proof is to make them unfireable.
Yes seriously. The difference is "reasonable effort". If I know tightening a screw 3 full turns will kill someone then I install a screw that is only threaded 2 turns. Or I bottom out the cup to only allowed a screw depth of 2 turns. If I install a product I know can be made unsafe with something as simple as a turn on a screwdriver, then I'm the idiot helping the idiot. If they alter that then I've made reasonable efforts to prevent it.

would you install a gas tank that exploded on impact knowing that if the car was in an accident because of some idiot it would go up in flames killing the idiot and innocent people?

Yes seriously. The difference is "reasonable effort". If I know tightening a screw 3 full turns will kill someone then I install a screw that is only threaded 2 turns. Or I bottom out the cup to only allowed a screw depth of 2 turns. If I install a product I know can be made unsafe with something as simple as a turn on a screwdriver, then I'm the idiot helping the idiot. If they alter that then I've made reasonable efforts to prevent it.

would you install a gas tank that exploded on impact knowing that if the car was in an accident because of some idiot it would go up in flames killing the idiot and innocent people?
What you describe as "reasonable efforts" is exactly what Remington has done with both the Walker and X-Mark trigger. On both triggers it would be necessary to break through a hard sealant or actually grind parts to be able to even get to any parts that would allow an adjustment that would make the trigger unsafe. We're not talking about some casual numb nut turning a screw to far. A real effort to do something that is clearly not meant to be done has to be made.

You might want to actually learn how these adjustments are made before condemning Remington for making it to easy to do.

The owner's manual clearly states not to adjust the trigger. All adjustments are sealed at the factory. You have to scrape and dig the sealant off just to get access to them. In my book, that's more than a "reasonable" effort.

You can't stop idiots from doing idiot things.

What you describe as "reasonable efforts" is exactly what Remington has done with both the Walker and X-Mark trigger. On both triggers it would be necessary to break through a hard sealant or actually grind parts to be able to even get to any parts that would allow an adjustment that would make the trigger unsafe. We're not talking about some casual numb nut turning a screw to far. A real effort to do something that is clearly not meant to be done has to be made.

You might want to actually learn how these adjustments are made before condemning Remington for making it to easy to do.

Why take that extra effort when you've provided such a wonderful description.
People comment a lot on stuff they are not completely trained or schooled in.
That's normal conversation and I don't plan on going to a remington smith school or reading 10 forums just to give my opinion to make you happy. What I have watched are people showing what are represented as normal Guns misfiring and I based my statement on that. With the addition of your information to the mix, I can not understand why a Judge would rule against a company if that were the case. Since what little reading I did, a court found remington at fault and Remington agreed to replace the trigger. So what did remington do to idiot proof the replacement that is costing them shipping, components and labor?

I have students with brand spankin' new Remington 700's ringing steel at 1,000yds plus every month. I have not seen this purported drop in quality I keep hearing about.

The Ruger Precision Rifle is a great rifle.....with a crap trigger. It's probably safe, but it still needs replaced for best results.

Back
Top Bottom