• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Remington 870 Accidental Discharge - AGAIN!

dlciman

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
0   0
Reaction score
Hey ODT'ers I need some help finding a knowledgable gunsmith. Preferably on the south side of ATL. I have a young man on my 4H shotgun team that has a Remington 870 that discharges-occasionaly-when you close the action. It has happened twice, once last year and again this weekend. Both times the safety was on and his finger was on the reciever and nowhere near the trigger. I told him to let me check it out and see if there is something wrong with it. I brought it home and I can not make it discharge again. I have tried everything in the book but it works correctly every time. I can not give it back to him without knowing for sure it won't do it again. I could not live with myself if someone was injured due to this malfunction. Both times we were doing everything right and the gun discharged down range and no one was injured and I used it as a perfect example to drive home the importance of gun safety. I hope I never have to do that again. I will get this fixed for him since he has no one but his mother to help him out. I considered sending it back to Remington but it is 5 years old and the warranty has expired. Any recomendations for a local gunsmith? Have any of you experienced this before? There are several instances of 760 rifles doing this, but not many 870's. ANY help will be appreciated as I can't give it back to him with a clear conscience without getting fixed.

you could get a new trigger group on ebay shipped for about $65, a gunsmith may charge you more that that. an 870 has a spring loaded firing pin, its most likely not that, im assuming its properly oiled and not rusty.

Tell him to keep his finger off the trigger!
Did you witness this 870 slam firing WITH the safety ON and his finger off the trigger???
I find it hard to believe you can't duplicate the problem if it is indeed a problem with the weapon.

Not saying it can't happen but something's not quite adding up here.

Yes it is cleaned and oiled properly. that was the first thing I wanted to verify. I'm a Mack of all trades and love tinkering on guns, but I'm no fool. I want someone who knows what they are looking at.

I've owned an 870 Wingmaster for 40 years and have never heard of this problem. This is very odd to me. Good luck finding the source of the problem and when you do please let us all know so we can pass the info along.

jetmech I personally witnessed it both times! I stand directly behind and to the right of the kids when they shoot. I hand them 1 shell at a time and he has a routine that he has followed for 5 years. Fire gun, push safety on, rack slide, load shell, rack slide, mount gun, push safety off, call pull, fire. REPEAT. Like clock work. This is driving me crazy and I don't want to see anybody hurt.

linebacker I have owned an 870 and 760 game master .30-06 and never had the first issue with either one. that is why this is so confusing. I literally tried twisting the foregrip from side to side to see if it fire that way and it has not done it since. I spent an hour racking shells in and out of this thing before coming to work today. It's the dangedest thing I've ever seen. When I find out what it is I will pass along the information to everyone here. GUARANTEED!

Last edited:
jetmech I personally witnessed it both times! I stand directly behind and to the right of the kids when they shoot. I hand them 1 shell at a time and he has a routine that he has followed for 5 years. Fire gun, push safety on, rack slide, load shell, rack slide, mount gun, push safety off, call pull, fire. REPEAT. Like clock work. This is driving me crazy and I don't want to see anybody hurt.

If that's the case then you've certainly done the right thing by taking the weapon from him.
Wish you knew whether the hammer had fallen or not when this has occurred.
I would check the firing pin spring inside the bolt first.

Back
Top Bottom