• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Remington 870 Accidental Discharge - AGAIN!

If that's the case then you've certainly done the right thing by taking the weapon from him.
Wish you knew whether the hammer had fallen or not when this has occurred.
I would check the firing pin spring inside the bolt first.

^^
I agree with this.
The firing pin area, trigger assy would be what I would concentrate on. Stuck spring causing firing pin to stay out, scarred area where firing pin rides could make it stay out, a bent firing pin, etc. You may can research it on the web. I will see what I can find.

I will thoroughly disassemble it tomorrow and check EVERYTHING out. I just barely had time today to try and make it repeat the malfunction. He's a great kid and has overcome an eye dominance issue to become a decent shooter. His mother has done a great job of raising him to become a fine young man without the help of his dad. He is one of the main reasons I do this. It gives kids that don't have a father figure in their lives an opportunity to learn our sport. It teaches them respect, control, and responsibility. All the good things that will help you no matter what else you do in life.

I will thoroughly disassemble it tomorrow and check EVERYTHING out. I just barely had time today to try and make it repeat the malfunction. He's a great kid and has overcome an eye dominance issue to become a decent shooter. His mother has done a great job of raising him to become a fine young man without the help of his dad. He is one of the main reasons I do this. It gives kids that don't have a father figure in their lives an opportunity to learn our sport. It teaches them respect, control, and responsibility. All the good things that will help you no matter what else you do in life.

Good on you for helping him. That's what it is all about. :thumb:

just replace the drop in trigger...problem solved

Not necessarily problem solved.
He stated that the safety was engaged when this has happened.
If the safety is functioning properly, then the hammer will not fall. If that is happening then the trigger group has nothing to do with the issue as OP is sure the shooters finger is off the trigger too.

FWIW and for some strange reason....shotgun bolts are often overlooked and neglected during the cleaning/maintenance procedure.
I've seen many shotgun bolt assemblies that were completely crudded up and filthy internally to where the firing pin couldn't move freely. They are so primitive and simple to disassemble and clean, it just doesn't make any sense to me. This is required maintenance just like cleaning the bore...
Please keep us informed of your findings.

atljetmech I agree 100%. I have seen this as well and will find out tomorrow when I disassemble the bolt assembly. I'm a jet mech. at ATL as well. We are pretty meticulous by trade and I go all out on cleaning my guns. I stress this to the kids as well and hope they follow suit in the future.

Back
Top Bottom