• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Remington 870 Accidental Discharge - AGAIN!

Not necessarily problem solved.
He stated that the safety was engaged when this has happened.
If the safety is functioning properly, then the hammer will not fall. If that is happening then the trigger group has nothing to do with the issue as OP is sure the shooters finger is off the trigger too.

The safety on the 870 only physically blocks the trigger only, not the hammer or sear. The hammer can still fall if the sear fails to properly engage the hammer. Check the hammer and sear engagement and the sear spring. With the trigger pack out of the gun see if you can force the hammer off the sear without pulling the trigger. Also look for wear or rounding of the hammer hook and sear.
870 hammer.jpgremington_870_sear.jpg

Could also be an obstruction in the firing pin channel or broken return spring causing the firing pin to be extended beyond the bolt face.

Good call Brian and thanks for clarifying.
With it happening so infrequently, I leaned toward and broken firing pin spring and the random slam fire on a primer but I'm anxious to hear what's found.

Yes I will check for wear on the hammer and sear tomorrow. I had forgotten about you being a gunsmith. You were recomended by another member here just last week for some other work I need done. I checked out your website but did not call over the weekend. Thanks and I will try to contact you via PM as well.

Had problem with used Rem shotgun purchased from a fine " ODT trader" Called remington and sent gun back to them. $3.47 in parts and 30 in labor The gun is perfect. If it has ever happened they have seen it and can fix. My gunsmith was amazed and pleased with the customer service for a regular man on the street. Pm if you need more info.

Had problem with used Rem shotgun purchased from a fine " ODT trader" Called remington and sent gun back to them. $3.47 in parts and 30 in labor The gun is perfect. If it has ever happened they have seen it and can fix. My gunsmith was amazed and pleased with the customer service for a regular man on the street. Pm if you need more info.
Yep, if you are 100% sure it's not user error... send it to Remington. The way they treated a rifle I had as a kid that was fired with an overloaded round, made me a firm believer.

Great to hear Remington has good service. If I don't find anything glaringly obvious tomorrow I will probably send it off to them. With his and his moms permission of course. I can honestly say with 100% accuracy that it was not user error, that was the only reason I decided to bring it home and check it out. You guys, as always, offer some great information and I really and truly appreciate it. I will post what I find out abou it.

Had a similar problem several years back. Could not duplicate and started disassembly. When I took the bolt apart it had gunk and rust in the firing pin channel the spring was "cruddy". If memory is correct replaced both and soaked body for several days, cleaned and reassembled with no problems since. I kept the gun and installed a slug barrel to hunt IL deer.

Well I finally got to tear the 870 apart this morning. Other than being a little dirty the only thing I can find is the hammer has a lot of wear on it. The sear notch is worn and rounded slightly. I could not force it to release the hammer but it has the feel of a hair trigger. The face of the hammer has excessive wear as well so I'm going to have a professional look at it and verify what I have found so far. I would like to thank each and everyone of you for all the help and advise you have given me. You guys are awesome! I will let you all know what the gunsmith says as well.

Back
Top Bottom