• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Remington 870 Accidental Discharge - AGAIN!

Bobs custom firearms is in palmetto. He does great work on 1911's and rifles, but I'm not sure about the 870. It might be worth a call.

The safety on the 870 only physically blocks the trigger only, not the hammer or sear. The hammer can still fall if the sear fails to properly engage the hammer. Check the hammer and sear engagement and the sear spring. With the trigger pack out of the gun see if you can force the hammer off the sear without pulling the trigger. Also look for wear or rounding of the hammer hook and sear.
View attachment 265471View attachment 265472

Could also be an obstruction in the firing pin channel or broken return spring causing the firing pin to be extended beyond the bolt face.

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^the problem has to be in this area..the sear or trigger has to be worn down to prevent lock up or there is a an obstruction between the two

OK folks. I took the 870 to a local gunsmith Paul Vandiver in Woodbury. We disassembled and inspected EVERY part of that shotgun. Everything checks out. The wear I saw was actually a machined shelf at the sear notch. The trigger works fine and we could not jar it loose from the sear. It is as good as new and probably cleaner. The bolt and firing pin are working perfect. We will use it Sunday afternoon as the only thing I can think of is that something got between the shell and bolt face. That can be the only thing that makes any kind of sense. IF it ever happens again I will inspect the gun to see if anything got between the bolt and shell. I'll check the hammer to see if it was released and dissect it until I can determine the cause. I told the owner that if it happens again we will send it to Remington immediately. We ran a box of shells through it and it performed flawlessly. Go figure. Thanks for everything guys, you all are awesome!

Back
Top Bottom