• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Remington closing?

I think many of us would be happier if it weren't owned by Wall Street players, and instead was helmed by gun people with a good sense of the market. The Remington brand is a great one. It's just in poor hands, in terms of living up to the tradition of the brand.

It's now standard operating procedure to ask if a Marlin is JM stamped. That's not because people are in love with those two letters of the alphabet. They want to know that it was made by Marlin, and not Remington.

You just described every single large firearms manufacturer in the world. It ain’t about guns, it’s about making money. Don’t call out Remington when everyone else is exactly the same.

The current Remington 700 is an outstanding rifle. I see hundreds a year in the hands of my students and I haven’t seen a bad one yet. They shoot very accurately, and the right models have no issues ringing steel at 1,000yds right out of the box.

Marlin went downhill before Remington got involved. The minute they caved in and installed a mechanical safety on a lever action rifle, they became turds. I won’t own a Marlin or Winchester levergun with a safety. A combination of politics and Union “labor”.

Every gun company that was located in NE either moved and carried on, or stayed and has had serious issues. Winchesters had been overpriced turds for close to 50 years when they got brought back from the grave and relocated to Columbia SC. The SC-built Winchester Model 70’s are the best ones ever built. I would take a modern, production Win70 that came off the line in Columbia to one of the polished turds that came out of Winchester’s “Custom Shop” up in NE.

You are missing the point, as large as they are and as many firearms as they offer they only have two that stand out currently. They dont offer a solid, affordable AR like Ruger or S&W. No solid carry offerings (either revolver or semi) which S&W and Ruger both have. No decent .22 offerings like Ruger or S&W. And they have plenty of competition on the rifle side and Mossberg gives them all they want in the 870 arena. They certainly had the name and the market back in the day but that has eroded badly. Much like Winchester, its a shame.

Why do they “need” an AR? Every time a company comes out with an AR nowadays, the ODT brain trust screams “too late” anyways. The AR market is oversaturated at this point. Remington does what they do very well.

Browning doesn’t make an AR, either......why don’t folks call them out for it?

You are missing the point, as large as they are and as many firearms as they offer they only have two that stand out currently. They dont offer a solid, affordable AR like Ruger or S&W. No solid carry offerings (either revolver or semi) which S&W and Ruger both have. No decent .22 offerings like Ruger or S&W. And they have plenty of competition on the rifle side and Mossberg gives them all they want in the 870 arena. They certainly had the name and the market back in the day but that has eroded badly. Much like Winchester, its a shame.
I think you are missing the point. They aren't a handgun mfg. They don't care about wheel guns. The AR market is historically oversaturated with cheap stuff. Why do they need to step into those games? The broader your offerings, the more stressed your assets become. Why doesn't Glock make rifles or revolvers or shotguns? Hell, they won't even make anything that isn't primarily plastic. They probably should have gotten in on the cutting edge or tricking out the bolt gun with the surge in LR shooting and PRS. That is on them. But to further stress assets by adding multiple sku's that they have no expertise or market recognition in is never the answer. Personally, I think it would be better for them to scale back their offerings and dump that money into better R&D, marketing, ee's, materials and QC's. It is better to do one thing really well than to do 50 things only meh.

Why do they “need” an AR? Every time a company comes out with an AR nowadays, the ODT brain trust screams “too late” anyways. The AR market is oversaturated at this point. Remington does what they do very well.

Beat me to it

So what happened to the Remington R15 and R25 AR style rifles? They discontinued Bushmaster and DPMS to keep their own line up and running, or so I thought. What about the 1100 and 1187, VersaMax and V3 shotguns? What about R1 pistols? Remington has quite a few products that are quite popular.

The 783 is a pretty nice set up. It is actually a stronger action than the 700 and very smooth too. Especially for a budget model.

Was just an example of possibly "why" they are circling the drain. Management is the key issue. But their product line is suffering as well.

Back
Top Bottom