• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Revolver for mom

If she can't work the trigger of an LCR, skip the idea of a revolver. That's got to be the easiest one out there.

As for semis, there's only two I would check out.

The SIG P238 takes very little effort to rack the slide on. I don't know why this small 380 has such an easy slide to work compared to all the others out there. Maybe because it's a 1911-style design? But it definitely does.

The second is the Beretta Tomcat (probably the 32 ACP version). The tip-up barrel means that she never has to rack the slide at all. The double-action trigger pull is still there, but if she is able to precock the hammer she can safely carry it 1911 style with the thumb safety on. Not something you would ever suggest doing with a revolver.

If she can't work the trigger of an LCR, skip the idea of a revolver. That's got to be the easiest one out there.

As for semis, there's only two I would check out.

The SIG P238 takes very little effort to rack the slide on. I don;t know why this small 380 has such an easy slide to work compared to all the others out there. Maybe because it's a 1911-style design? But it definitely does.

The second is the Beretta Tomcat (probably the 32 ACP version). The tip-up barrel means that she never has to rack the slide at all. The double-action trigger pull is still there, but if she is able to pre-**** the hammer she can safely carry it 1911 style with the thumb safety on. Not something you would ever suggest doing with a revolver.

Good advice right here

My mother-in-law wanted a gun. "A Friend" got her a Ruger LCR. She likes it, but has trouble with the hammerless since it takes a bit to pull the trigger. As such, she would not go to the range with it. I actually had to remove the tag at the range to get her to try it. The best advice I have is that you take her to a range where she can try several. It gives her more confidence in her choice and will make it more likely that she will practice with it.

Another thing about racking the slide.

Most inexperienced shooters will try to pinch the slide and rack it like a slingshot.
Have her hold the gun close and parallel to her body. Pushing with her dominant hand and pulling with her support. Using this method I've seen frail old women rack slides on Glock, Smiths, FNs, etc.

Give that a shot and see if that changes anything.

See if you can find a J frame in .32. If she follows the advice below, she will have no problem firing it single action.

Better yet see if you can locate a Charter Patriot in .327 Federal. She can practice with .32 S&W and carry .327 Federal. I have one and it's a very suitable gun.

i used to give lessons at the local gun range. We had a little old lady with severe arthritis come in. She could not shoot a revolver in double action, and we couldn't find a semi she could operate the slide on (next to a gun store so we had all sorts to try out)

What we worked out was a two handed hold where she used both thumbs to thumb cock the pistol. She wasn't going to win any speed contests, but she could maintain a reasonable rate of fire, and hit minute of bad guy at 7 yards. She ended up with a .22 to make it easier to rapidly fire the gun. .22 may not be "ideal' but it meets the first rule of gunfight.

I have a American Rilfeman episode recorded on my Xfinity system. It is a episode that goes over what are the best guns for gals. The gals hated the revolvers. The found it real hard to keep the gun on target and pull the trigger at the same time. If they could even pull the trigger on the one they were shooting. Now they went over I believe they had 36 gals and went over 18 guns and they all hated the revolver. They tended to like the larger frame guns with easier slides to operated since the smaller guns have a smaller and tighter springs. The favorite gun was the Sig P238. It was easier to rack the slide and had the 1911 style trigger. It was the hands down winner. I just had to fast forward through the show to get to the number 1 pistol. You might give that one a try.

I don't think it has to be a deal-breaker if she can't "rack the slide" on a semi auto.

You or others familiar with guns can do that for her, ahead of time.

If she is comfortable carrying it chamber-loaded, all she has to deal with is getting a proper grip and arm position (no limp-wristing), maybe flicking the safety off (if it's that kind of gun and she wishes to use the manual safety), aiming and squeezing.

Such a set of skills would handle about 99 out of every 100 armed citizen gunplay incidents.

Back
Top Bottom