• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

RIA double stack 9mm

He may have been referring to the model. RIA calls some models by its year. I have a 2011 tactical with the full rail. I know these double stacked 9mms are the 2012 model.

2011 refers to double stack 1911s. Single stack is a 1911, double stack is a 2011.

Um it's a double stacked 1911, commonly referred to as a 2011 in the competition world. Most double stacked 2011's are plastic framed, until recently when SVI brought out their metal grip.

This is a double stack 2011, similar to a 1911 but not the same.

Just a point of clarification...IIRC, Para Ordnance produced the FIRST "Double-Stack" 1911 Frames in the late '80's, first as "Kits", then later building complete guns...ALL of 'em were All-Steel, BTW...

STI later combined the "Double-Stack" 1911 MAG w/a Polymer Frame--with Steel Frame Rail Inserts, a la Glock--and STI was the first to refer to a "Plastic-Framed" Double-Stack 1911 as a "2011"...From STI's Website:" Utilizing our patented modular system, STI created the 2011 platform- all the benefits and advantages of the 1911 but with a capacity of up to 26+1. When we first invented it shooters the world over rejoiced and we’ve further refined it in the 20+ years since." HTH....mikey357

Last edited:
That's all well & good, but I believe STI is the ONLY MANUFACTURER who you will see refer to their Double-Stack 1911's as a "2011"...Just Sayin'... :) ....mikey357

Mikey, I think you have probably forgotten more about guns than most people will ever know. Your knowledge pool is a mile wide and a mile deep and you never fail to amaze me.

STI as a manufacturer may be the only one to refer to them as 2011's but ask any competitive shooter what they are called and I am willing to bet more refer to them as a 2011 than anything else.

STI as a manufacturer may be the only one to refer to them as 2011's but ask any competitive shooter what they are called and I am willing to bet more refer to them as a 2011 than anything else.

As far as the PLASTIC-Framed Double-Stack 1911's go, you are probably right--Just like we ALL refer to ANY clear or translucent plastic Tape as "Scotch Tape"... :) ....mikey357

Mikey, I think you have probably forgotten more about guns than most people will ever know. Your knowledge pool is a mile wide and a mile deep and you never fail to amaze me.

Thanks...When I was MUCH younger--and WAY before the "InterWeb"--I set out to "Corner The Market" on Gun & Shooting BOOKS & MAGAZINES--of ANY kind--Sometimes, I think I succeeded TOO well--But at least I can still remember SOME of what I read--and EXPERIENCED--WAY "Back Then!" Do you know anybody who'd TRADE a LNIB Colt Python for about 400 POUNDS of old "Gun Rags?" Naahhh, I didn't think so... :( ...LOL!....mikey357

Back
Top Bottom