• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

RIA double stack 9mm

That's all well & good, but I believe STI is the ONLY MANUFACTURER who you will see refer to their Double-Stack 1911's as a "2011"...Just Sayin'... :) ....mikey357

If I may, not sure about the rest of the industry, but I know that Rock Island definitely refers to their models as 2011's. It's all over their website, for example:
i270.photobucket.com_albums_jj91_bluesman2a_Tools_2011RIA.jpg

I've been chasing one of these guns for a WHILE. I finally found one, not long ago, pure dumb luck. I had memorized the part number (51647 for the 2011 9mm) so that every time I walked into an LGS, I could ask, do you have one, can you GET one, have you SEEN one, do you know anybody who CAN get one? I swear they are made of unobtainium.

Then I just stumbled over one when looking for some AR parts on http://www.joeboboutfitters.com had it shipped in and picked it up from the FFL a couple days later.

It's a great looking and feeling gun. Decent weight due to the rail.

A couple of thoughts:
1) As mentioned previously, the 22TCM is sold as a combo with a 9mm barrel and was easier to find. If I were to do it over again, knowing what I know now, I would have ordered that.
2) The 22TCM and high cap 9mm's use the same mags, they are essentially for a super 38. The only difference is that the tactical model uses a baseplate due to the magwell.
3) The factory supplied mag is a Meg-Gar MGP1883817B which is for a Para Ordinance P-18 in .38 Super.
4) The trigger on this pistol is much "grungier" than the other RIA's I own. I haven't played with or shot it at all yet, so I probably need to just fiddle with it a bit.
5) Almost all the pics I've seen in the past show a rubber wrap-around grip on them as "stock". Mine did not come with these it came with black synthetic grips as in the picture above. Not bad, but I will be changing them.

Last edited:
Interesting......... the only thing I dont like about 1911 is the low capacity... a double stack would be sweet. I've shot a Para Ordinance and the grip wasn't really that much thicker, so I'd like to fondle one of these double stacked 9mm one...

Also, that's an interesting round... 22TCM... with a 9mm conversion barrel, that'd be an awesome combo if the price is right!

I've been meaning to respond back to this thread...

I finally got some range-time with this last Sunday. Here are my initial impressions:

1) The weight/balance of the gun is good. The rail does counteract muzzle-flip a little.

2) I was shooting it side-by-side with my RIA 9mm Tactical single-stack. I was shooting consistently smaller groups with the single-stack, but I chalk that up to better trigger and the sticky Hogue rubber grips I have on the older gun. This was about where I would expect to shoot with a new-to-me gun, so neither good nor bad.

3) I have fairly short hands, and the slide release was a bit of a stretch. I've run the Wilson Combat extended release with good results in the past. I think I may try one on this.

4) I'm not entirely sold on the magwell. This is the first gun I've had with a competition-style magwell. The mag-bases come out of the well, but can make seating a mag challenging. This too will bear some extended use/trial as I get a feel for it. In general, I think I prefer just a slightly beveled magwell instead of the large cup/bell approach. I'm not combat shooting here, just looking for something comfortable.

5) Magazines. The factory mag and the additional 4 I purchased from RIA which are MEG-GAR brand Para Ordinance P-18 mags are TIGHT. 17 rounds fit but oh my god, they were stiff. Picked up a Mag Lula loader to help with this until they get broken in.

6) I ran just shy of 100 rounds through it while at the range. The first 4-5 mags went through without issue. After that, something happened. Not sure what. I had a guest with me so I didn't really have a chance to dig into it there, or since. Based on some reading I think the extractor may need some fine-tuning.

7) The malfunction: spent brass fails to eject about 50% of the time. This results in the following round double-feeding into the back of the spent casing. Even when it does eject, the new round hits the feed-ramp and stops. This looks like it may just be a clean/polish kind of thing, but I will need to spend some time tearing the gun down for an inspection. Note: these issues were with Summit FMJ round nose factory loads. I don't think the issue is with the ammo here. Everything else I've fed that stuff likes it just fine.

Initial impressions: I still like the gun. I was SO jazzed to finally have one, I really wanted to love it, and wanted it to be the *****. Out of the box, it has a few hiccups, which I think are easily solvable, but will require some time. I've heard nothing but good things about Rock Island customer service, and I haven't contacted them yet, but I REALLY don't want to have to ship this back to them. There were several upgrades/improvements I was planning on doing anyways, so I may just go ahead and do them now locally (i.e. trigger job, slide release, etc.).

Well I had a chance to fondle it some this afternoon and do some basic tests/work.
It doesn't appear to be the extractor. Based on the tests I have found on you-tube, it's running fine.
The issue appears to be on the feed ramp.
I cleaned the ramp on the frame and barrel liberally.
With round-nose copper jacketed rounds, the issue seems to be happening even during manually cycling. This is regardless of a FULL manual cycle or partial only pulling the slide far enough to eject the old round and pick up the new.
The round nose-dives into the ramp and stops, since the slide is behind it, this pushes the bullet slightly below the neck of the casing.
Everything stops in this position.

I'm thinking that the feedramp on the frame side might need a bit of polishing.

Any other ideas?

Well I had a chance to fondle it some this afternoon and do some basic tests/work.
It doesn't appear to be the extractor. Based on the tests I have found on you-tube, it's running fine.
The issue appears to be on the feed ramp.
I cleaned the ramp on the frame and barrel liberally.
With round-nose copper jacketed rounds, the issue seems to be happening even during manually cycling. This is regardless of a FULL manual cycle or partial only pulling the slide far enough to eject the old round and pick up the new.
The round nose-dives into the ramp and stops, since the slide is behind it, this pushes the bullet slightly below the neck of the casing.
Everything stops in this position.

I'm thinking that the feedramp on the frame side might need a bit of polishing.

Any other ideas?

Mags may need adjusting.

Just a point of clarification...IIRC, Para Ordnance produced the FIRST "Double-Stack" 1911 Frames in the late '80's, first as "Kits", then later building complete guns...ALL of 'em were All-Steel, BTW...

I'm not a know it all by any means, but I own an early Para Ordnance 14/45 "kit" that is an aluminum frame lightweight. They also produced the 13/45 aluminum framed "compact" if I remember correctly.

Back
Top Bottom