• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ruger American .308

atlhky

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
9   0
Reaction score
I was curious if anyone on here has experience with the Ruger American chambered in .308. I'm hoping to have a rifle by deer season. I'm a big CZ fan, I only own CZ pistols now, and I love some of their rifles but I have never hunted and don't want to start with a fancy rifle. Its not just the price point but I like some of the features on the Ruger American. Any opinions good or bad about these rifles would be very helpful and appreciated. I just need a durable and reliable hunting rifle right handed and left handed(another reason I like this rifle) to start hunting. Thank you for your opinions.

I know you are inquiring about the Ruger, and people are chiming in about Savage, so I might as well throw my candidate for that class in as well. Just to keep your options open...
Check out the Remington 783. I had one in 3006, and now have one in 308. It looks better than the Savage (granted, that doesn't take much)...has a thicker barrel than both the Ruger and Savage as well. The Remington Supercell recoil pad is nothing short of amazing, IT WORKS! My favorite part of the 783 (outside of it's accuracy and price) is the palm swell. When you pick up a 783 and shoulder it, it has heft like a rifle should. Remington usually has rebates going on year round...I picked mine up in October for $329 w/ a $40 rebate...so $280ish total isn't bad.

Thanks for the responses. Some of the guns I've looked at some I have not. I'll hold out for the right rifle so I'll start checking on the ones I'm not familiar with. I can't stress to you guys how much I appreciate your opinions and time. Hopefully I'm ready by deer season if not I'll start with pork. From what I'm understanding some of these inexpensive rifles are good rifles. Again thank you.

I was curious if anyone on here has experience with the Ruger American chambered in .308. I'm hoping to have a rifle by deer season. I'm a big CZ fan, I only own CZ pistols now, and I love some of their rifles but I have never hunted and don't want to start with a fancy rifle. Its not just the price point but I like some of the features on the Ruger American. Any opinions good or bad about these rifles would be very helpful and appreciated. I just need a durable and reliable hunting rifle right handed and left handed(another reason I like this rifle) to start hunting. Thank you for your opinions.
I own a couple Rugers & like them but You have to take into account that you cant replace the barrels as they are pressed in on the American. I much prefer the Rem 700 with its screw in barrels although they are "push feed" & not controlled feed, but who shoots upside down? $377 @ Wal-Mart. But the 783 is a very good one too. Savage has the barrel nut but wont provide the wrench to gunsmiths.

Back
Top Bottom