• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Rules Input

Eh...I disagree. Scenario: I'm trading a Glock 19. I really want a S&W 642, so that's my trade value. I'm not selling the Glock because I know that if I have cash laying around, I'll spend it on something else before a 642 pops up. In the new ODT of "All ads must have cash price/value listed," I put $400. Ad is posted. Now let's say User436 sees my ad, thinks to himself, "Hmm, I've always wanted to try out a Glock 19 and I do have an old 642 collecting dust in the safe...maybe I'll PM this guy." But then he gets down to the price/value listed. "Hell, I gave $460 used for that old 642, ain't no way I'm letting it go for $400." User436 is now offended by the unintentional "lowball," whereas, without the price/value being forced into the equation, both members would have been happy with their new acquisition.
I would have used fewer words but I agree with this. :D

Eh...I disagree. Scenario: I'm trading a Glock 19. I really want a S&W 642, so that's my trade value. I'm not selling the Glock because I know that if I have cash laying around, I'll spend it on something else before a 642 pops up. In the new ODT of "All ads must have cash price/value listed," I put $400. Ad is posted. Now let's say User436 sees my ad, thinks to himself, "Hmm, I've always wanted to try out a Glock 19 and I do have an old 642 collecting dust in the safe...maybe I'll PM this guy." But then he gets down to the price/value listed. "Hell, I gave $460 used for that old 642, ain't no way I'm letting it go for $400." User436 is now offended by the unintentional "lowball," whereas, without the price/value being forced into the equation, both members would have been happy with their new acquisition.
So a guy with exactly the trade you are after changes his mind because of the value? Ok... if you say so. It is a fact, it will not cure every conceivable scenario. Just the majority of them.
I would have used fewer words but I agree with this. :D
It's OK, you can be wrong too even using fewer words. It's actually preferable. :p ;)

So a guy with exactly the trade you are after changes his mind because of the value? Ok... if you say so. It is a fact, it will not cure every conceivable scenario. Just the majority of them.
Cure? What is sick?

I really don't understand it. Let's take my scenario again and say that my trade interests are just "a revolver." You offer me a Taurus Tracker in .22 WMR. I say "No, thanks." What's wrong with that? You will say it's wasting your time because had you known I was only interested in a 642, you wouldn't have sent the PM - and I will say that it's a waste of my time responding to the people who will offer me four $100 bills and tell me to go buy a 642.

We have enough rules as it is. Enforce what's on the books, ignore the whiners, and keep shoveling.

Cure? What is sick?

I really don't understand it. Let's take my scenario again and say that my trade interests are just "a revolver." You offer me a Taurus Tracker in .22 WMR. I say "No, thanks." What's wrong with that? You will say it's wasting your time because had you known I was only interested in a 642, you wouldn't have sent the PM - and I will say that it's a waste of my time responding to the people who will offer me four $100 bills and tell me to go buy a 642.

We have enough rules as it is. Enforce what's on the books, ignore the whiners, and keep shoveling.
The default auctions. Not putting a value is simply a way to accomplish that and get around the rules.
What's wrong with you putting $400 value and for trade ONLY so that I know not to offer you that Tracker OR the insulting $100 bill in the first place?

He's not letting it go for $400... He's letting it go for a Glock 19 that you will not find anywhere for $400 more than likely... I think things can be over thought at times. If it is a Sale only thread, PRICE. If it is a Sale / Trade thread, PRICE. If it is a Trade only thread, ITEM. There have been times I have traded up, and traded down. It happens because I am looking at something I want.

Back
Top Bottom