• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Sandy Springs gun club shooting

If you're at a public range and not anticipating other people entering and firing different calibers, you're probably pursuing the wrong hobby. I don't constantly monitor the coming and going of other shooters. Yeah, it sometimes catches me unaware. But, I welcome the interruption to further develop my reaction to distractions and increase my focus. You can turn a negative into a positive.

I just hope the bad guys use quite guns that won’t startle anyone and shoot nice and slow

ROs are great, but as long as you have the skills a controlled rate of fire is not needed. ROs are most valuable on ranges that have the most lax rules.

Not sure it's really the rules that make an RO necessary, more like the clientele.

I managed to get by Quickshot yesterday for a bit after work, and when I started off they didn't bother putting an RO on the range because I've been going there for years and the staff there knows me.

About 30 minutes in another 'regular' came in, so still no RO. But about 10 minutes later a couple of folks came in... along with an RO.

Generally, if they don't know someone they will have an RO at the range. Especially (it seems) if the person is renting a gun, and always if they are renting a full-auto gun.

The rules apply equally to everyone though. They will call out a regular if they do something stupid just as fast as someone they never saw before.

The problem for ROs is that aside from the hard-and-fast Range Rules, they have to supervise down to the lowest common denominator and sometimes the calls they make can seem pretty arbitrary (but sometimes necessary).

It's quite reasonable to expect a couple of regulars who are zeroing their glass are going to be less (and possibly zero) effort to RO in a public range, but when Mickey McDoofus turns up with his crack-addled girlfriend to try out his new Taurus Raging Judge, the RO will have to be on his toes AND watching everyone on the range, even if the majority of his attention is on Mickey and his squeeze.

That's when people start to dislike "ROs who behave like Hitler". I get it. I don't *like* it, but that's life.

In extreme circumstances, that might make me reconsider using a particular public range (I'm in the fortunate position of not having to use a public range very often), but these things tend to be self-correcting. A range that only caters for slow-fire bullseye shooting isn't going to survive.

But having RO'ed at a private club of shooters who were for the most part, pretty good, I still saw things you people probably wouldn't believe.

proxy-image

Edit: ... or maybe you would.

Not sure it's really the rules that make an RO necessary, more like the clientele.

I managed to get by Quickshot yesterday for a bit after work, and when I started off they didn't bother putting an RO on the range because I've been going there for years and the staff there knows me.

About 30 minutes in another 'regular' came in, so still no RO. But about 10 minutes later a couple of folks came in... along with an RO.

Generally, if they don't know someone they will have an RO at the range. Especially (it seems) if the person is renting a gun, and always if they are renting a full-auto gun.

The rules apply equally to everyone though. They will call out a regular if they do something stupid just as fast as someone they never saw before.
I agree with most of this. A range that does not have a lot of rules is more susceptible to customers getting in over their heads and becoming unsafe and this is were a RO should step in. The general rules may not apply to all people equally. As an example, if a person becomes unsafe because they are trying to shoot too fast for their skill level, then a limited rate of fire should be imposed on them. Same thing with drawing a weapon or transitioning.

All indoor gun ranges I have been to north if I 20 are safe. A gun range open to the general public has a lot on $$$ invested in their building, equipment, employees. The range has to be safe, and enjoyable to their clients, for them to suceed with their busniess model. Range owners want you to have a good and memorible experiance. No one can fix stupid. Those that say "this is why I don't go to indoor ranges", don't shoot more than a couple of time a year. For those that live in a meteropolitain area, indoor ranges are the only option if you plan to shoot once or twice a week. Or shoot competivley in a league. Sorry for rambling on...

Well, the range where I had a pistol grip shotgun dropped at my feet was north of I-20. It was in Douglasville on Bankhead hwy.

I also shoot at least twice a week. I shoot in my backyard.

Back
Top Bottom