• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Sandy Springs gun club shooting

Unfortunately, RO's are a necessary evil...until the collective IQ of mankind increases dramatically.
ROs are great, but as long as you have the skills a controlled rate of fire is not needed. ROs are most valuable on ranges that have the most lax rules.

Sadly, not everyone is an "operator".

If there are other people on the range shooting they could be someone's wife, son or daughter learning the basics of using a handgun. We need to encourage these folks and not be the inconsiderate big shots like those I have seen that just bring out the .44 Mag. or do mag. dumps just to see others flinch. We want them to embrace the 2nd. Amendment not push it away.
If someone is doing a mag dump and is watching other people's reaction to it, there are a lot worse issues going on there than the dump itself.

I shoot fast and a lot when I go to the range due to what level I practice at. I also help new shooters a lot. Probably about a quarter of my time at an indoor range ends up advising and helping others. I seldom approach them first. They come to me because of the skill I'm exhibiting. They are far from intimidated by it. On the contrary, they are encouraged.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not some hot shot super shooter, but I'm better that about 95% of the folks you find at an indoor range, so I can help and encourage these folks that are new to their 2A Rights.

Exhibiting speed and accuracy at the range is NOT a bad thing.

ROs are great, but as long as you have the skills a controlled rate of fire is not needed. ROs are most valuable on ranges that have the most lax rules.

I'd have been happy if people stopped shooting the cleaning counter in the lounge.

I know that busting balls is an Olympic sport around here, but I think - with some context - I could see why dude had an issue. Imagine if you were shooting groups and it's just you and one other person on the range. Concentrated, intermittent fire of two shooters. You might be habituated to a shot every maybe 10-15 seconds? So you're in the optic, focused on a shot when all of a sudden Magdump McGee goes ham in lane 7.

It's possible you didn't see him because you were in the optic and the dividing walls obscured your peripheral vision. It's further possible you didn't hear him enter because of your earpro. I know we're all super secret squirrel quiet professionals...but sometimes the rest of us can get spooked every now and then. I don't know that I would have complained to management, but I absolutely can see getting a flinch or a jump scare in that scenario.
If you're at a public range and not anticipating other people entering and firing different calibers, you're probably pursuing the wrong hobby. I don't constantly monitor the coming and going of other shooters. Yeah, it sometimes catches me unaware. But, I welcome the interruption to further develop my reaction to distractions and increase my focus. You can turn a negative into a positive.

Back
Top Bottom