• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

scammers

define a scammer? I would think it would be very obvious if you encountered one on here
It was obvious. It’s been a constant for quite some time. I called it out. I just don’t want some unsuspecting person with limited experience on sites like this to get scammed. It doesn’t mean the victims are stupid as one of the lovely lifetime supporters eluded to. It simply means they missed some clues because of inexperience. Anyhow, I won’t define a scammer and I’m tired of the defense for these scammers….seemingly only by lifetime “supporters”.

We have had a couple members “point out” that someone they were in communication with were scammers, when in fact they were not.
Okuma spends a lot to try to keep up with obvious scammers, but that’s what they are, they scam. When one avenue is taken away they try another, sometimes creating elaborate back stories, and working in teams to make themselves look legit.
One member participating in this thread discovered one trend, which was instrumental in discovering more scammers.

The reason we don’t allow callouts is that when someone is wrong it hurts reputations and runs off valuable members. One such member always had numerous items offered at reasonable deals and was a long time member, he never returned as far as I know. Another I can recall was a shut in and didn’t really know how to navigate the internet well so he sounded “off”. He’s gone as well. We have another that lives here in GA but he uses a translate program to write his messages, as we all know that sometimes is not very effective. He can speak, but told me on a deal that he can’t write English well. He understands and is still here.
We have members from other countries, many of which don’t understand our slang and nuances, that get accused from time to time.

These are the reasons we enforce the strict NO CALL OUTS of any kind.
We can look at the “inside” of the site and most of the time figure things out.
We are not 100%, no one can ever be. Even Twitter and Facebook have scammers get by.

It’s ultimately each member’s responsibility to keep from being scammed. But we do all we can.
It is asinine to think we want scammers somehow, someway. I mean really?

It was obvious. It’s been a constant for quite some time. I called it out. I just don’t want some unsuspecting person with limited experience on sites like this to get scammed. It doesn’t mean the victims are stupid as one of the lovely lifetime supporters eluded to. It simply means they missed some clues because of inexperience. Anyhow, I won’t define a scammer and I’m tired of the defense for these scammers….seemingly only by lifetime “supporters”.
aint no one defending them, Mr I wont support the site I buy and sell in

Regulating scammers on this site is one thing I can't complain about.

I bought one vehicle off Fakebook Marketplace, but I for sure did my due diligence. At least a third, if not more, of the auto ads on FB are obvious scams. Local ads with palm trees in the background of the photos, ridiculous low prices for high demand autos - and FB won't or can't delete them.

The only other category with which I am familiar is tractors/lawnmowers and similar situation exists.

My opinion, the percentage of outright scammers is very low on ODT. The pretentious pricks, not so much.

Stupid for not following common-sense rules when buying from strangers.. not stupid as in I'm smarter than you. Sorry for triggering you OP, especially since was a holiday :thumb:
Man you think a lot of yourself thinking you triggered me😂 I could give not one or ✌️ 💩’s about what you’ve said. Cleary an internet ODT tough guy. It’s all good. The site is useful, but I do way more business on national sites with a lot more exposure. Folks interested in things I am. Not Soilder Of Fortune type that are Billy Bad Ass type guys….on the keyboard of course. You can say whatever, holiday or no holiday. I do appreciate the sentiment of the apology though.

Back
Top Bottom