• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Sharing the road with bicyclists

Attachments

• IMG_2096.png
    IMG_2096.png
    251.2 KB · Views: 6
These are not parallel arguments. In any arguable metric.

And what equivalent freedoms in this instance are you referring to? Not trying to argue for the sake of it. Just want to see your point of view.

The right to travel has long been an inherent right of the people since first enumerated in the articles of confederation, and while not specifically written in the bill of rights, the Supreme Court of this land has held that position citing the fifth and fourteenth amendments for example. No stipulation has been made on mode of transport…by foot, by horse, by bicycle, by automobile, or by jet airplane. The right has been held up by the Court. Bicycles bother the hell out of me too, but since our local, state and federal governments have collectively failed to provide safer alternatives than the roads, we must share. The argument for taxes is absurd. Just because they don’t pay gasoline taxes (which the government hoodwinked us into believing were for “roads) doesn’t mean cyclists don’t pay taxes. They do…just not for gasoline, a product they don’t use. The purchase of gasoline does not confer special rights on people. The roads are a product of collective ownership by all taxpayers and citizens mostly paid for by federal and state taxes and splost…not just gasoline taxes.

So I don’t think it’s an apples and oranges argument. Rights are rights, like it or not. I just don’t think we should take away someone else’s rights because they’re inconvenient to us…or dangerous to them. So they have a right to travel but no “equal protection under the law”?

The right to travel has long been an inherent right of the people since first enumerated in the articles of confederation, and while not specifically written in the bill of rights, the Supreme Court of this land has held that position citing the fifth and fourteenth amendments for example. No stipulation has been made on mode of transport…by foot, by horse, by bicycle, by automobile, or by jet airplane. The right has been held up by the Court. Bicycles bother the hell out of me too, but since our local, state and federal governments have collectively failed to provide safer alternatives than the roads, we must share. The argument for taxes is absurd. Just because they don’t pay gasoline taxes (which the government hoodwinked us into believing were for “roads) doesn’t mean cyclists don’t pay taxes. They do…just not for gasoline, a product they don’t use. The purchase of gasoline does not confer special rights on people. The roads are a product of collective ownership by all taxpayers and citizens mostly paid for by federal and state taxes and splost…not just gasoline taxes.

So I don’t think it’s an apples and oranges argument. Rights are rights, like it or not. I just don’t think we should take away someone else’s rights because they’re inconvenient to us…or dangerous to them. So they have a right to travel but no “equal protection under the law”?

I agree with much of that. I will never support more government involvement in pretty much anything and there isn't much someone can say to convince me we need more taxes.

But I still feel this is apples and oranges. Yes, right to travel freely. Not right to interfere with others right to travel in their chosen method. That's almost like depriving me of electricity because the guy further up the circuit doesn't like artificial lights. Electricity isn't a true right, and I don't truly need it to survive. But that's still bonkers. (since we're doing apples to oranges)

We share the road with cyclists that means they share the road with cars and trucks. Which, to me, translates to get out of everyone else's way. I would feel similarly of someone in a regular car that refuses to go faster than 10mph. It's a hazard 95% of the time and few would argue against that.

I try to share and for the most part have had zero issues save one. I was comimg into a down hill curve and I was meeting a large box type truck when I seen a bicyclist riding on the white line (thank god) I didnt have time to touch my brakes and I couldnt swerve either direction. I just squezzed my happy ass right between them. Im sure my side mirror brushed his shoulder. definately a pucker moment for all invovled.
I joke around more than anyone on here but when you have a rattlesnake thrown at you & then go over the handlebars, that was fun. Was on way to a busboy job in the 70’s my 1st day at west ga. college in front of the president’s house. hard to forget & hate water moccasins even more 🚲

Never road ride in the USA. Too much bravado from motorists. Too much road hogging by kitted bike riders. Off road for me or over seas where its culturally acceptable to ride in the road. I've known and seen too many riders injured or killed. Lack of civility on both sides. Just like the rest of our society. IMHO.

Never road ride in the USA. Too much bravado from motorists. Too much road hogging by kitted bike riders. Off road for me or over seas where its culturally acceptable to ride in the road. I've known and seen too many riders injured or killed. Lack of civility on both sides. Just like the rest of our society. IMHO.
Guess it’s how you were raised, even every motorcyclist in buckhead I see tries to set the salt flat record on the way to work. I still have one but quit.

Back
Top Bottom