Shoot Out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gentlemen,

The intent of the post was to discuss the role of a "car/truck" gun and ammunition of choice. It was not to speculate whether this was a good shooting or not. The local law enforcement agency and 911 was activated at the earliest possible moment. No one mentioned the nearly 30 minute wait for LEO.

So far the facts are the investigating officer concurred he would have dropped hammer, the local LEO are searching for a dirt bag who pulled a gun on a U.S. Army (former) Ranger. Marketableranger is at home alive with family. Perhaps the instigator will strongly reconsider threating a stranger with a deadly weapon. All too many young misguided men think that with a gun they are empowered to intimidate the public with a threat of force. It is unwise to threaten a well-trained armed man with deadly force.

I am absolute in thought that a FMJ would have done better no matter what the caliber but experience informs me a .45 or perhaps a .40 would have done better within the limitations of a pistol round. I have seen significant bullet deflection from glass windows, a small branch or other obstacle within the path of a chosen target prevent a round arriving at its intended target both on the range and in the field. There is no substitute field experience and training is the key to success. This story is but merely an after action review. What went wrong and what corrective action could be made in order to prevent it's repetition. It's a learning tool. Ignore, dismiss, redirect at will but simply said the weapon/ammo combination failed in this scenario. Keys to success are mindset, situational awareness, flexibility, training and equipment.

As it is said winners train until they get right and professionals train until they can't get it wrong. I like to see professionalism.

Things have changed in the last 30 years and if someone has a junk car or truck, it would be awesome to offer it up to a shooting test with different brands of ammo. Posting pics and detailing the results would be greatly appreciated. The thickness of metal car/truck bodies has significantly been reduced and I doubt the .45 will do worse. Perhaps the 9mm will do better. Bonded bullets are better but they are less than perfect and hunters have seen this first hand from their inception. I'll continue to carry a .45 in my truck with a magazine of hardball accessible.

One cannot have too many options nor be over prepared.

Funny you should mention testing ammo vs. modern cars.
I have an Intermediate class about to graduate where I am considering deviating somewhat from the normal outline & taking a windshield, car door, sheetrock, & plywood out to to the range to let them see how their ammo works on intermediate barriers.
Use of cover & concealment are two areas we have already conducted drills practicing so I felt like live demonstrations of how various bullets & calibers performed would be very informative & relevant.
If we get to do that, which I'm leaning toward doing, we'll post the results here on the forum.

Story sound fishy and the follow up explanations and pictures don't add up.BS all of it, sorry.

No need to be sorry, I apologize as I was getting this information second hand and I was careful not to add or interpret. It's a problem with second hand news.

However the issues with ammo failure continue the rest will be sorted out by local law enforcement. I know the man involved. Everyone else here doesn't. He is an honorable man and I don't doubt his word.

If you don't accept me for my word then fine but those who know me know that if nothing I am a man of my word.

I have an Intermediate class about to graduate where I am considering deviating somewhat from the normal outline & taking a windshield, car door, sheetrock, & plywood out to to the range to let them see how their ammo works on intermediate barriers.
Use of cover & concealment are two areas we have already conducted drills practicing so I felt like live demonstrations of how various bullets & calibers performed would be very informative & relevant.
If we get to do that, which I'm leaning toward doing, we'll post the results here on the forum.

That would be very useful for all concerned. Thanks!

I would like to see the reults if you do. Being a novice to the gun comunity all the extra info is helpfull.

And as for all the comments about the shooting: As far as thugs or any criminal not carrying a 1911, rubish. I am sure they dont have too much of a preference as thier guns are usually stolen to begin with.

As for the story being BS. None of us have enough information to be able to make that assumtion. Furthur more the victim posted here and if he was in the wrong wouldnt the other victim have reported it to police and one would for sure be in jail at the moment.

I would like to see the reults if you do. Being a novice to the gun comunity all the extra info is helpfull.

And as for all the comments about the shooting: As far as thugs or any criminal not carrying a 1911, rubish. I am sure they dont have too much of a preference as thier guns are usually stolen to begin with.

As for the story being BS. None of us have enough information to be able to make that assumtion. Furthur more the victim posted here and if he was in the wrong wouldnt the other victim have reported it to police and one would for sure be in jail at the moment.

Sorry to say you are stating the obvious to the oblivious.

Yes the assumption that a thug doesn't carry a 1911 is purely prejudice; it's typically what has been stolen.

^This. I looked but didn't find anything.
Even in the boondocks big news gets reported. A running gun fight on any road much less a major rd as represented would make news in any community.If the Victim spoke to LEOs he would have a name, probably a badge#, and certainly the Agency and a case # for the incident. Easily verified... I will be the first to apologies if the story is confirmed.

I looked for the story as well and couldn't find it. However, there's plenty of stuff that goes on day to day and is never reported. Like the time my neighbor was attacked by a pit bull, it never made the news...yet you see those kinds of stories all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom