• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Should I fire this rusted Revelations shotgun?

Jin

Default rank <500 posts
Survivalist
46   0
Reaction score
I got this shotgun from an acquaintance for 10 dollars (he needed beer).

When I got it, it looked like it was in a small fire. I gave it to a buddy of mine who is an avid hunter with a collection of shotguns who likes to clean 'em up.

He gave it back to me with all the nasty gun stripped off on the stock (most of it) but was unable to do anything about the bore pitting.

He told me he shot a low brass weaker round through it and it shot fine but I'm unfamiliar with old guns so I didn't know what the risk was (obvious being blowing my face off).

I trust the integrity of the gun. Meaning it breaks down properly and feels sturdy but I was iffy about shooting it.

Here are some pictures.

i143.photobucket.com_albums_r139_JinKim710_2012_12_19_21_43_57_373_zps6d61ea88.jpg

The outside seems smooth and the barrel looks to be solid :
i143.photobucket.com_albums_r139_JinKim710_2012_12_19_21_45_05_210_zpse0705367.jpg

Anyone with actual personal experience in shooting old guns? I figured the ODT has more members with real world experience than most gun sites I've been to.

Thanks in advance!

Yeah Id shoot bird shot first though. Low brass. But, I would shoot it as long as the pipe doesnt look stressed close to the chamber (my face) and the breach closes well.

You also might want to blue it or paint it before you have a rusty tube on your hands

I'd dunk it in oil for awhile and then remove as much rust as possible and reblue/paint it first before i'd shoot it

but i ain't no professional so others will be more helpful

Last edited:
Just my 2 cents. How old is old? Looking at the rust pattern that is showing up it may be a Damascus barrel. Either way get it checked out by a real gunsmith first. Your life is worth more than the thrill.

Vice and some string....

I would but no where to shoot it since I live in an apartment. I would have to go to a range lol.

i would, it might kick like a sob

Yeah Id shoot bird shot first though. Low brass. But, I would shoot it as long as the pipe doesnt look stressed close to the chamber (my face) and the breach closes well.

You also might want to blue it or paint it before you have a rusty tube on your hands

I wouldn't doubt the innards of the barrel are rusted. Its impossible to know how deep. I will likely just Krylon the entire thing black since the entire gun looks like complete crap.

Dang! He really wanted some beer. I'll give you $20 for it. Lol

I manage a liquor store in Carrollton. He pulled up outside and started to walk into the store with it in hand. Funny thing is, only 1 or 2 people looked at him like it was odd, others just saw it as a daily occurrence. Gotta love Carroll County.

Back
Top Bottom