Should I upgrade? (Optics)

CherryCola

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
16   0
Reaction score
I'm working on a Remington 700 build. The idea behind it is a lightweight, mid - long range build. Something that can reach out to 300 - 1000 yards.

I'm currently running a Primary Arms SLx 4-14x44 FFP since I had it laying around. Would it be worth grabbing a Leupold Mark 3HD 6-18x50mm instead, or should I just stick with the PA?

Here is the build so far for those who likes photos:
IMG-5310.jpg

What you have will work.

The defining factor is clarity at 1000 yards...if your happy with the PA scope it's all good.

My problem is once I started using really good glass it spoiled me.

I have yet to see one of those chinese pA scopes track. We'll ingnore the terrible optical quality. They don't track. Have seen loose lenses in multiple as well. Most of the failed chinese PA scopes I have seen have been on 22's. So not an issue with the gun. They just stink.

That said, I also wouldn't recommend the Leupold. Their QC is bad. They have a higher tendancy to not track properly. They consistently mix and match MOA and IPHY. At any given price point, their specs are not great compared to other options.

Short story. I would definitely upgrade the scope. Give us a budget and we can help point you in a good direction.

I have yet to see one of those chinese pA scopes track. We'll ingnore the terrible optical quality. They don't track. Have seen loose lenses in multiple as well. Most of the failed chinese PA scopes I have seen have been on 22's. So not an issue with the gun. They just stink.

That said, I also wouldn't recommend the Leupold. Their QC is bad. They have a higher tendancy to not track properly. They consistently mix and match MOA and IPHY. At any given price point, their specs are not great compared to other options.

Short story. I would definitely upgrade the scope. Give us a budget and we can help point you in a good direction.
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. It was fine when it was on my AR because I wasn't expecting to shoot terribly far with it. I'm looking for it to be around $600 - $800 price range.

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. It was fine when it was on my AR because I wasn't expecting to shoot terribly far with it. I'm looking for it to be around $600 - $800 price range.
You are square into viper pst gen 2, used dmr/hdmr, or a slight amount more and into the optika 6 5-30.

Let's do this.. what brands have the best tracking/quality at the $500 - $1000 price range? I also expect it to be knocked around a little.
Midway was running some Viper PST FFP 5-25s in the $650 mark. I think the sale is off but it wouldnt surprise me if they had it again soon. Thats a lot of scope for the money.

As someone who is learning to shoot long range, 1k yards is no problem on 15 power if you have good clear glass.
Yeah, long range is very interesting so far. It's not like when I was into AR15s and you just wanted something like an ACOG that is durable.. it is a whole complicated beast.

Back
Top Bottom