• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I need a little inside help folks.

greg vess

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Elite Idiot
120   1
Reaction score
I know next to zero about optics. I have been using red dots and open sights for the longest. The most expensive scope I have ever bought was a Vortex PST gen 1 and the low power illumination was awful. So stayed with Nikon M308's and M223's and for $599 they did all I ever needed. Since then I have been in limbo on optics so I need some help. I have been doing some reading up on Arken, Meopta and TRACT scopes but they all boast to be the best in their fields. I need real world feedback and can't do a couple hundred more. 700 is my set budget for this scope.

The first and obvious question is - what kind of use are you going to put the scope to, and what kind of magnification are you looking for? And what kind of gun (particularly caliber) are you going to mount it on?

I know. That's three questions.

I found Nikon to be pretty good. But for distance shooting, the adjustments weren't uniform. Leupold has done me well, however there are better scopes

I know next to zero about optics. I have been using red dots and open sights for the longest. The most expensive scope I have ever bought was a Vortex PST gen 1 and the low power illumination was awful. So stayed with Nikon M308's and M223's and for $599 they did all I ever needed. Since then I have been in limbo on optics so I need some help. I have been doing some reading up on Arken, Meopta and TRACT scopes but they all boast to be the best in their fields. I need real world feedback and can't do a couple hundred more. 700 is my set budget for this scope.
and again we have optics exspurts that will be along to assist you

The first and obvious question is - what kind of use are you going to put the scope to, and what kind of magnification are you looking for? And what kind of gun (particularly caliber) are you going to mount it on?

I know. That's three questions.zzz
Caliber is 308, target shooting from 100 to 300 for now and maybe some hunting this next season. I should think 3-18 power I think that is what my Nikon M308 series scopes were ( if I would have known they were stopping production In would have held on to those, I had 3 or 4 of them ) but somewhere in that power range. Just target shooting, maybe some hunting and might and that's a low probability might, stretch out a littlest longer range if it ever presents itself. I might take a long range shooting course up here if I can get my load development down pat. I guess a little of everything. I do like exposed turrets. I like have the option of making adjustments on the fly. Illumination I could take or leave it. Sometimes the illumination can price me out of that scope option. I think that covers it. If you need anything else just yell. You know like HEY GREG 🤭

I'm no expert nor spastic drip of any kind, but I have been following this guy on YouTube:
He usually has some blunt reviews, which I like.
Just throwing it out there.
I like the reticle on the GPO, Maven, Meopta and I am doing to look closer at the TRACT line up as well. I have actually seen this before but forgot about them. I think if I look at the brands he mentioned I might be able to find something I can work with.

I would offer some advice but I probably don't know anymore than you. I have a couple of good scopes only because I got excellent deals on them. I doubt that I will ever get the full potential out of them but it is there when I need it.
I have had several low to mid range scopes and found them all lacking as my eyes got older. Get you something that you will be happy with for years to come.

Back
Top Bottom