• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Sig braces now legal to shoulder?

This letter applies solely to pistolarm braces which have been submitted to the ATF FTB branch and have received approval. SBTactical is the only maker to have received this approval. If you have a non-SB Tactical pistolbrace, this ruling does not apply to your brace. Shoulder those at your own risk.
So only SB Tactical huh?
20170330_181842.png

Gun owners and the gun industry will keep pushing the envelope.
When will some manufacturer just make a standard M16A1 buttstock out of U.N. blue plastic and call it an "arm brace?" Who can say that it's NOT useful for that, and any incidental use as a shoulder stock is just a coincidence?
How about a brace that doesn't even partially encircle your forearm, and has no band or strap to secure it?
How about a brace that's got a "slip resistant" cover (recoil pad) on the back end?
How about an "arm brace" that's set up for a good 14" length of pull when used as a shoulder stock?
(ATF's new ruling talks about how awkward and uncomfortable the approved pistol arm braces would be IF used on the shoulder).

So my question is, where does that leave the viability of paying the $200 tax for an SBR? Seems to me, that as long as the brace isn't modified in any way as to differ from the ATF approved manufactured version, you can shoulder it. Besides comfort under recoil, what are the benefits to having an SBR as opposed to a pistol with a brace? Someone enlighten me because I wanna know if I wasted $200 plus the cost of a new, fully assembled lower receiver.

So my question is, where does that leave the viability of paying the $200 tax for an SBR? Seems to me, that as long as the brace isn't modified in any way as to differ from the ATF approved manufactured version, you can shoulder it. Besides comfort under recoil, what are the benefits to having an SBR as opposed to a pistol with a brace? Someone enlighten me because I wanna know if I wasted $200 plus the cost of a new, fully assembled lower receiver.

Good questions. I like the idea of an SBR but don't feel like the benefits of having a shorter barrel are worth the cost, time, paperwork and hassles and limitations... The idea of the brace appeals to me as a workaround, but I wasn't willing to unwittingly run afoul of the law just to have a rifle with a 4" shorter barrel...

If these devices are truly in the clear, then perhaps I will build one up.

It always seemed stupid anyway. Who cares of a rifle has a shorter barrel or a pistol has a longer barrel? If I am allowed to own and carry a gun anyway, what's the difference?

Back
Top Bottom