• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Silica packs for gun safe

Hadn't thought of using them in ammo cans. Guess that would work good for my storage boxes and ammo.
I think it would be more important in the ammo cans. I oil down all my blued steel firearms with a healthy coat of gun oil before I put them in the silicone saturated gun socks and put them away. No moister is getting in there. I tend to go overbored on all my AR lube jobs so I'm not worried about them. I mean they are coated with fairly corrosion resistant coatings so they will stay free of corrosion. Any parts in there that might be prone to rust get a good amount of lube on it. For the most part AR guns are made to withstand a ton of abuse environment wise so I don't stress about them to much. A good coat of lube on the moving parts keeps them good to go.

There was a thread just a couple days ago about corroded ammo. Keeping ammo in those plastic ammo cans with the rubber seal in them with a desiccant bag in each one will eliminate that problem before it even starts.

I'd put all 3 boxes in there. That should leave you room for one small pistol. :dizzy:
LOL. That should just about cover it.
I tried to look at a lam-mans terms of how big of a bag you would need for a gun safe and it wasn't clear. 20 square footage translated into 80 units. Now how big is a unit it did not say. It's safe to say that those 3.5x5 bags would handle one ammo can for years ( plus you can recharge them ). I would say 5 to 10 of those bags placed strategically around the safe should give years of dry environment. I would take them out say every six months or one a years and recharge them in the microwave just for good insurance.
I was surprised when I got mine. They came in nice thick plastic bags and were in very sturdy material. I am going to order another packet of the same size and put a few extra in my safe just to be on the safe side. No pun intended. I am going to try and figure out this square footage per bag thing so we can better understande it.

Back
Top Bottom