• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Situational Awareness & The Incredible Speed of a Knife Attack

dougiemac

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
Banned Permanently
119   0
Reaction score
This video shot by the CCTV of London late one evening around 2:30a and it shows a completely unprovoked and brutal attack on two unsuspecting young men. Although the two young men were minding their own business and did not provoke nor deserve to be attacked by these heinous individuals, they broke a number of rules that could have potentially saved them from this attack. They broke 2 rules of stupidity.

The first rule of stupid they broke was they were out at 2:30a (nothing good happens at 2:30a). The second rule was they did not pay attention what was going on around them (situational awareness). Situational awareness might've saved these two young men from this brutal attack. However what you witness in the video is how incredibly fast a knife attack can happen and a life taken. Unfortunately the young man in the green shirt, who although was only stabbed one time very quickly was stabbed directly in the heart and it proved to be a fatal. The other young man was stabbed just as quickly 4 times by the depraved attacker but survived.

This video proves just how incredibly fast a knife attack can occur and that situational awareness is a tactic that is vital to your survival. Regardless of whether you carry a firearm or not, without the right mindset and tactics, you're chances of survival is equal to that of someone who does not carry a firearm. If you know me, you've heard me preach Col. Cooper's Condition Yellow, but I'll say it again if it saves just one life... "always be aware of your surroundings."

This video shot by the CCTV of London late one evening around 2:30a and it shows a completely unprovoked and brutal attack on two unsuspecting young men. Although the two young men were minding their own business and did not provoke nor deserve to be attacked by these heinous individuals, they broke a number of rules that could have potentially saved them from this attack. They broke 2 rules of stupidity.

The first rule of stupid they broke was they were out at 2:30a (nothing good happens at 2:30a). The second rule was they did not pay attention what was going on around them (situational awareness). Situational awareness might've saved these two young men from this brutal attack. However what you witness in the video is how incredibly fast a knife attack can happen and a life taken. Unfortunately the young man in the green shirt, who although was only stabbed one time very quickly was stabbed directly in the heart and it proved to be a fatal. The other young man was stabbed just as quickly 4 times by the depraved attacker but survived.

This video proves just how incredibly fast a knife attack can occur and that situational awareness is a tactic that is vital to your survival. Regardless of whether you carry a firearm or not, without the right mindset and tactics, you're chances of survival is equal to that of someone who does not carry a firearm. If you know me, you've heard me preach Col. Cooper's Condition Yellow, but I'll say it again if it saves just one life... "always be aware of your surroundings."

Which is why Cooper put "Mindset" at the TOP of the Combative Triad.

I tell my students it (gasp) is even more important than having a gun.

In addition to having the proper mindset it is very helpful if a person has been trained in recognizing the precursors or "tels" that signal predatory behavior i.e. posture, body language, behavioral patterns, target focus or index as well as being educated in the 6 primary techniques criminals use to attack their victims. The sooner you recognize predatory behavior the more time, & therefore the more options you have in dealing w/ them including simply "creating distance from the threat".

That along with engaging in realistic training scenarios using Sims or hi-powered Airsoft guns along in both shoot AND non-shoot exercises give the student a HUGE advantage in being prepared & knowing how to avoid these situations or how to quickly & correctly prevail in them.

The first rule of stupid they broke was they were out at 2:30a (nothing good happens at 2:30a).

For the record, some of us leave work at 2:30am. But thank you for sharing. It definitely gives me a new perspective on staying alert if I end up stranded in the wee hours...

Stay inside until your ride arrives. Unfortunately, these victims wandered too far away from the relative safety of the club and into the lion's den.

First and foremost, situational awareness should include the avoidance of putting yourself in risky situations.

Thanks for sharing the video.

Back
Top Bottom