Slip n Slides

zesty

Hen of Fame Lifetime Supporter
not fully clean
67   0
Reaction score
I've done an exhaustive amount of research on slip n slides in the last couple days so thought I'd share the info for anyone with kids. Yesterday, we broke out a slip n slide for the first time. HOLY CRAP, I forgot how much fun they are. The only problem was that it was only 16ft long. Last night I went on a search for a bigger one. To my shock, they are very hard to find. They are almost all 16ft long.

OPTION 1: Wahii Slide
This is the only manufacturer I found that make a 50 or 75ft long slide. It's expensive though; $150 with shipping for the 50ft.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=malZS9DG0_I

OPTION 2: Tarp and Soap
Yup, just what it sounds like. Plastic tarp, a gallon or two of dish detergent from the dollar store, and a sprinkler. The problem for me is I have toddlers and didn't want to hear the screams after they got soap in their eyes. I also read that you have to have a hill with a decent slope to it otherwise it still doesn't work well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwK0NSlkldM

OPTION 3: Slip n Slide + Duct Tape
I found a guy that glued and duct taped a bunch of slip n slides together. You get the slick material so you don't have to use soap and they can be found cheap if you have time to look.
Annoying video, but good info:

Lessons learned:
- I just put two together, should have done three. I'll add another before next time.
- I recommend the double width ones because it's hard to stay on center. It's about $15. The single is on clearance at Toys R Us for $5.
- Two hoses are best. One to inflate the bottom bumper and one at the top to wet down the rest. You don't have to keep water running on the top, it just has to be wet.
- The first few runs are slow. After the grass gets matted down, it gets extremely fast.
- The "jets" on the slip in slide suck. Minor issue, just remember you're just buying it for the slick material.
- Add cones or a beach ball at the bottom for the kids to slide into. I read some people make a bowling game out of it.

IMG_0889.JPG

If anyone has any other tips or ideas, post them up!

I'm sure there might be a better, cheaper way to do this. I did most of my research last night with a few beers but it turned out great. We had a blast today enjoying the freedoms bought with the lives of many brave men and women. I made an ODT trade, tried something new, hung out with friends, gave my kids a memory to keep, and now shared some knowledge. Perhaps a little shallow, but the day certainly wasn't wasted. :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:
Every year we buy a 75' roll of the thick plastic sheeting at HD. We soap it down and lay it out with sprinklers on the perimeter. Good times.

I actually have plastic tarp that would have worked well. I just didn't have time to test it out before people were coming over. I was pretty sure soap in the eyes would have ruined the day for the little kids. That would definitely be the way to go with older kids/adults and a huge hill.

Back
Top Bottom