• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

So, AR15 guru's...

I just dealt with a loose gas key, it ran 5.56 and .223 was intermittent. Was poorly staked and the bolts backed out some. Tightened bolts and staked them better. Problem solved

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess I could take the Daniel Defense BCG from my rifle and toss it in there... could do the same with the buffer and spring... Try process of elimination and see which part makes a difference?

Faxon make a quality barrel. I seriously doubt it’s that.

My eyes would be on the Anderson BCG and/or gas block as the issue. There’s a reason their parts are so inexpensive.

Crazy question, what's the ejection pattern with the 5.56? It sounds like you have it figured down to a gas problem, which sounds correct. It's unlikely the gas port in the barrel is undersized, but it could be. The gas block should be aligned with the port, even pushed to the shoulder as the gas block hole is bigger than the gas port, ( a quarter compared to a dime, how it was explained to me. I'd start simple by lubing the mess out of the bcg and shoot 3 or 400 hundred rounds through it to loosen it up. Some guns just fit tight. Just my cents.

How likely is it that the barrel itself would have the gas port not in spec? I have used Faxxon barrels before and never seen any issues.
It’s possible. Just dealt with that on a Wilson Combat SS barrel. Had to have the port opened up.

but, if your GB is shouldered up, that’s your culprit. Pull it and align properly. If you like, I have dimpling jigs that you could borrow and dimple the unside of your barrel to further secure your GB.

It’s possible. Just dealt with that on a Wilson Combat SS barrel. Had to have the port opened up.

but, if your GB is shouldered up, that’s your culprit. Pull it and align properly. If you like, I have dimpling jigs that you could borrow and dimple the inside of your barrel to further secure your GB.

Not sure why, but I was always told to shoulder it up, and so I always have... Is it plausible that I just got lucky on the others? Or maybe this gas block is just a tiny bit out of spec and that's making the difference?

Not sure why, but I was always told to shoulder it up, and so I always have... Is it plausible that I just got lucky on the others? Or maybe this gas block is just a tiny bit out of spec and that's making the difference?

The reason some dont shoulder the gas block is because the orientation of the gas port to the shoulder is spaced to allow room for A1 and A2 style front hand guard retainers. The only gun in ever built was with the the help of a buddy who is a armorer and builds guns for a living. When I got to the gas block part, he showed me the gas port opening on the barrel vs the one on the gas block. The gas block port is oversized to allow shouldering with or without the front handguard retainer.

I'd pull the gas block and check them gas port size on the barrel, then do a gas ring check on the bcg, then a reverse torque test on the carrier key screws. Between the 3, you should find where the gas is leaking.

Back
Top Bottom