• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

So who started you shooting? Shout out...

Who first got you started into shooting?

• Parent

Votes: 42 60.0%
  • Sibling

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Granparent

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Other family member

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Friend

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • No one, got into it on my own.

Votes: 11 15.7%

• Total voters

GeauxLSU

Default rank 5000+ posts
Corn Pop
Staff member
Super Moderator
63   0
Reaction score
Where the stars at night are big and bright.
Well? Who got you started?

Today would have been my dad's 95th birthday. God how I wish everyday he was still around...

My first and fondest memories are of he and I tromping through some woods chasing any number of critters or me scouring for spent brass at the range for him to reload. I will NEVER be half as good a shot as he was, nor half as good a father, but I certainly will always appreciate him instilling me a love and appreciation for firearms. The ones I have from him (the vast majority) are my most treasured physical possessions by several magnitudes over anything else.

Thanks Dad! RIP. I may make a little gunsmoke in your honor today. :yo:

Dad and uncles, grandfather. Mostly hunting racoon, squirrels, rabbits, dove. I didn't start serious target shooting until I was 14 in ROTC. SGT. Raymond D. Ikner was my rifle coach and a big influence. He pushed me to accept a scholarship (competitive marksmanship) to college. I know he arranged the whole thing as I never asked for it, only applied to the school.

My grandfather and uncles during family get togethers like Christmas and thanksgiving.
I think I must have been about 7 or 8 my first time. As I got older I got to shoot larger calibers. Then post my military years I missed the smell and fun of the range, that and my love of ww2. I was a walking encyclopedia of ww2 when I was 12. I used to shock my grandads friends that I knew so much, even stuff not in books. Lots of which sadly I've forgotten over the years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom