• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Someone school me on Jeep Wranglers

Lazarus

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
39   0
Reaction score
My daughter is in pursuit of her license and as such I've been starting to think about what kind of car to get her. A LOT of kids in her school have Wranglers and I see a lot of them around on the roads. I get there is a huge culture that comes with Jeep ownership. What I dont understand is how the heck are these things so expensive. We were at CarMax once and the used 4 door ones they had were like $40k. Arent they that much new? I'm assuming they are like Tacomas and hold their value really well?

Also whats the difference in the CJ whatever number mean? Is that a body code? How many miles is considered too much?

CJ was the designation for Jeeps similar to what the original military was, open top, 2 or4 seats. Thr nmenclature was retained to maintaim the link to the early jeeps. CJ7 was the stretched CJ5, and was stretched so an auto tranny could fit.

The Jeeps have always sold for a premium, vause they are fun. Real Jeeps, not those SUV things with a Jeep emblem on thr back.

1990 was the last year of the carburator on a Wrangler. It was on a 4.2 6 cylinder. Wranglers went to the 4.0 fuel injected 6 cyl after that. Not sure whats in them today, but thodr straight 6 motors last a long time, and havegood bottom end torque.

V-8s were available till the late 80s.

Keep it simple...
Buy the newest, lowest miles and least modified Jeep you can afford.

Avoid anything with lifts and tires, most are low budget lifts that will ride like ****, handle poorly and cause driveline issues.
Without re-gearing, those cool looking 35's will eliminate 5th gear in a manual and overwork an automatic to death. Plus your speedo will be off, not something you want with a new driver.

Back
Top Bottom