• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Someone school me on Jeep Wranglers

1990 was the last year of the carburator on a Wrangler. It was on a 4.2 6 cylinder. Wranglers went to the 4.0 fuel injected 6 cyl after that. Not sure whats in them today, but thodr straight 6 motors last a long time, and havegood bottom end torque.

V-8s were available till the late 80s.
I think the last CJ's were 86.

I'd definitely only buy something like a stock TJ or newer. I work on my CJ all the freaking time. Also, I would NOT put a daughter in something that's lifted and/or experience death wobble. I don't think I'd trust anyone's modifications for a child without thoroughly inspecting and going through them.

I think most people love driving Jeeps because of the look(most of these new lifted Jeeps and Rubicons are 100% mall crawlers on their 35" tires), like they go off road or do exciting stuff, but it's a very expensive way to get poor fuel economy, go real slow, and not be very safe for a kid.

Really, are you buying one that she wants or you want, you can over modify them. They are not fuel efficient. And they tend to want to roll over.

Keep it simple...
Buy the newest, lowest miles and least modified Jeep you can afford.

Avoid anything with lifts and tires, most are low budget lifts that will ride like ****, handle poorly and cause driveline issues.
Without re-gearing, those cool looking 35's will eliminate 5th gear in a manual and overwork an automatic to death. Plus your speedo will be off, not something you want with a new driver.
This was my learning experience. Bought a TJ with about 6" of lift and 35s. Only test drove it on fairly flat 45mph roads(doing maybe 55). As soon as I started driving it on rolling hills and above 55mph I realized it had NO power at speed, and struggled to do more than 60. Re-gearing cost me about $2k (added rear trutrac as well).
After that it was a whole bunch of fun doing some beginner off-roading, meeting up in north ga with other jeep people, and generally waving my whole commute home. I bought it because I wanted a convertible, not because I was a jeep guy. I enjoyed the off-roading but couldnt justify it vs. the horrible commuting and breaking stuff on my daily driver. Sold it quickly.

One day when I have $10k sitting around with nothing to go towards - I'll buy another Jeep as a weekend and summer toy.

This was my learning experience. Bought a TJ with about 6" of lift and 35s. Only test drove it on fairly flat 45mph roads(doing maybe 55). As soon as I started driving it on rolling hills and above 55mph I realized it had NO power at speed, and struggled to do more than 60. Re-gearing cost me about $2k (added rear trutrac as well).
After that it was a whole bunch of fun doing some beginner off-roading, meeting up in north ga with other jeep people, and generally waving my whole commute home. I bought it because I wanted a convertible, not because I was a jeep guy. I enjoyed the off-roading but couldnt justify it vs. the horrible commuting and breaking stuff on my daily driver. Sold it quickly.

One day when I have $10k sitting around with nothing to go towards - I'll buy another Jeep as a weekend and summer toy.
Mine is a toy. Would hate to be a daily driver. Went through the same with the re gearing. Quality parts and an eaton locker and it was 3 grand. Tires, another grand. Sound sys. to drown out the wind noise, 500 and my labor. It eats more money than a boat but hey, its a Jeep. 3 inch lift on 32's geared 4:56

Mine is a toy. Would hate to be a daily driver. Went through the same with the re gearing. Quality parts and an eaton locker and it was 3 grand. Tires, another grand. Sound sys. to drown out the wind noise, 500 and my labor. It eats more money than a boat but hey, its a Jeep. 3 inch lift on 32's geared 4:56
I think if my 3 speed CJ on 32's had 4.56 gears it would only go about 45 mph lol.

My insurance agent told me that for a new driver, Jeep insurance was the most expensive with Mustang being a close 2nd. We bought my son an old Nissan Xterra.

Back
Top Bottom