• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Speaking of thieves...

We filed a claim but had to go the same day and replace all of the tools out of pocket, at this point I don't care about getting the tools back as much as I care about someone paying for it. I hate to think about someone getting a slap on the wrist for it and then let go like Ken Ford Ken Ford was saying. I bet if you were to go to the thief's house, and steal his stuff, he'd damn sure want someone to pay for it.
If we were to go to the thief’s house, I’d bet there would be better justice. But that isn’t the world we live in. Damn it.

Just spoke to the officer, he said "the investigator will get back with you in the next day or two" I told him they'd be gone in that time frame since the jackass is selling them for about 25% of what they're worth. I'm sure it's just some crackhead methin' around.
Or, the sailor is related to the detective. Can (and has) happened.

..... I bet if you were to go to the thief's house, and steal his stuff, he'd damn sure want someone to pay for it.
Reminds me of a story about my FIL. He was a cop in the Upstate of SC back in the 80's. Some scumbag broke into his house and stole his firearm collection.

Tommy found out who it was and went to the shytebird's house and broke in and stole all his guns back. LOL!

50797914781_5b15d3d869_z.jpg

Watching westerns tonight
Not anymore, depends, if no violence probably a misdemeanor here as well.
Burglary can be a misdemeanor in most cases now. Same with entering auto.
Used to be you would have been right.

Shameful.

Looked up the law. Theft of value of more than $1000 in NC is a felony.

Looked up the law. Theft of value of more than $1000 in NC is a felony.
Probably, but you would have to be able to prove the $1000 and cannot depend on only the testimony of the victim.
Not sure about NC that value has to be actual value and not replacement cost.
At least that has been caselaw, in many cases with a mediocre lawyer.

Ain’t saying it’s right, just reality.

Probably, but you would have to be able to prove the $1000 and cannot depend on only the testimony of the victim.
Not sure about NC that value has to be actual value and not replacement cost.
At least that has been caselaw, in many cases with a mediocre lawyer.

Ain’t saying it’s right, just reality.

Documented in a FB marketplace ad. How hard is it to look up retail pricing on tools when you know make and model? Stolen from a business, purchase records are probably intact within some type of accounting system, credit card record, or similar, auditable resource. And we didn't even talk about the damage to the vehicle. That's a firm number, too.

If the seller is the thief, or an immediate fence, seems like an easy case. Possession of more than $1000 worth of stolen goods is also a felony in NC.

If everybody throws up their hands and says "too hard to bring a case," before starting an investigation, thieving is a very profitable endeavor.

Start arresting a person or two and see who starts singing. No honor among thieves, right?

I had a crew in Durham, NC two weeks ago. they were staying at a Hampton Inn. The night they stayed there, someone broke into our new company truck (broke the dark tinted camper side window out). They stole just over $5,000.00 worth of HILTI power tools, i.e., two band saws, multiple drills, impacts, heavy duty hammer drills, batteries and an electric powder actuated nail gun. The employee that had them stolen (a good friend of mine) has been beyond pissed about it) he has been trolling the classified ads and FB Marketplace and ALL of the tools showed up for sale tonight on FB Marketplace...every tool and battery that was stolen is on this jackasses advertisement - still with the initials on the tools. I've contacted the Sheriff that took the call (left a voice-mail) but I have about half-a-mind to drive to Durham and set up a purchase just so I can show this individual how the tools work- up close and personal! Nothing pisses me off more than a thief or a liar, I don't necessarily believe in karma but I do think that you get what you give! I hope his unit rots off!!!

Rant over...
IF you drive to Durham NC, to set up a purchase, I would be prepared to contact the police and advise them you need an officer at your location because you are making a citizens arrest.

The charge is possession of stolen property.

In 2 weeks, the thief could've offloaded the stolen goods on somebody who thought he was getting in extraordinary good deal, and wants to flip them on Facebook for a quick profit.

The seller might not be the thief.

Many thieves try to fence their stolen goods within hours, so they can get money for drugs, beer, cigarettes, dip, or whatever else they're addicted to.
If the goods were reported stolen, isn't the/any buyer still the unfortunate victim of a "theft by receiving" charge??

Back
Top Bottom