• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Speaking of thieves...

Sorry about your loss. I grew up in Durham some 60+ years ago and it was a quaint sleepy little town. The area is home to Duke, UNC-CH and NCSU and is extremely woke. Add the high tech center of the Research Triangle bringing in more progressives and I guess it has gotten worse. USe to be bar fight and DUI's were the highlights of a cops day

Not shocking for Durham. I'd probably stay closer to RDU and drive in. That's not a foolproof strategy but you have to figure most of NC avoids Durham for a reason. Probably my favorite place to watch a baseball game though. Hope there's a good outcome.

Find you one 'em 'ere un citizen police recruits...

75f4c090-f029-4b11-af1e-1a340a6370ac_text.gif

Not shocking for Durham. I'd probably stay closer to RDU and drive in. That's not a foolproof strategy but you have to figure most of NC avoids Durham for a reason. Probably my favorite place to watch a baseball game though. Hope there's a good outcome.
We are now staying in Raleigh, don't know it is much better but we'll see. We also placed roller tool boxes in our trucks and have them locked and chained to the bed. At least now they'll have to work for it, but as my dad used to say "locks just keep honest people honest, thieves are going to get what they want!"

Documented in a FB marketplace ad. How hard is it to look up retail pricing on tools when you know make and model? Stolen from a business, purchase records are probably intact within some type of accounting system, credit card record, or similar, auditable resource. And we didn't even talk about the damage to the vehicle. That's a firm number, too.

If the seller is the thief, or an immediate fence, seems like an easy case. Possession of more than $1000 worth of stolen goods is also a felony in NC.

If everybody throws up their hands and says "too hard to bring a case," before starting an investigation, thieving is a very profitable endeavor.

Start arresting a person or two and see who starts singing. No honor among thieves, right?

Doesent matter. Charge them with a felony and theyll get a slap on the wrist still. Our justice system is a joke set up for catch and release.

To the best of my knowledge, Hilti uses unique serial numbers, I have every purchase receipts with numbers, and Hilti has record of them on our account - they look them up when we go to buy replacement parts. All of this being said, I have no realistic expectation of getting the tools back...I just want the prick that took them to pay, unfortunately it sounds like that probably won't happen either.
I don’t remember what “brand” it was, when we found out.
But the lot or model number would give the information for the parts or such as well.
I truly hope you get your stuff back.

In 2 weeks, the thief could've offloaded the stolen goods on somebody who thought he was getting in extraordinary good deal, and wants to flip them on Facebook for a quick profit.

The seller might not be the thief.

Many thieves try to fence their stolen goods within hours, so they can get money for drugs, beer, cigarettes, dip, or whatever else they're addicted to.
the seller is complicit in this theft. He knows that stuff was stolen.

Department isn’t going to allow too much time/money spent for low class misdemeanors.
theft of over $5k is low class misdemeanor? that's well into felony territory not to mention the B&E which adds even more $$$. I garauntee if this happened to an LEO it wouldn't be handled so passively.

Back
Top Bottom