• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Speaking of thieves...

Documented in a FB marketplace ad. How hard is it to look up retail pricing on tools when you know make and model? Stolen from a business, purchase records are probably intact within some type of accounting system, credit card record, or similar, auditable resource. And we didn't even talk about the damage to the vehicle. That's a firm number, too.

If the seller is the thief, or an immediate fence, seems like an easy case. Possession of more than $1000 worth of stolen goods is also a felony in NC.

If everybody throws up their hands and says "too hard to bring a case," before starting an investigation, thieving is a very profitable endeavor.

Start arresting a person or two and see who starts singing. No honor among thieves, right?
Not what I said at all.
I’m just bringing reality to the discussion.
Just curious, are the serial numbers in the FB ad? Is there a documented paper trail?

Did you know that some (maybe all) tool manufacturers use the same serial number for the entire days/weeks/months run?

Yeah, me neither till we tried to make that case.

Quick research Dewalt only uses model numbers, my Ryobi tools don’t have serial numbers, and I don’t remember one on my new Milwaukee Impact I got for Christmas. Shoes are off for the night and I’m not going out to the shop to confirm. I think what we call serial numbers are really only run or batch numbers.
I’m sure there are exceptions.

Makes making the case almost impossible.

If found out they will plead to a misdemeanor, that is if he/she/it doesn’t get a lawyer. Probably be dropped with a decent one.

Durham is a large dense population area, the crime rate is what you can expect for an area that big. Even if the investigator wants to, without some clout, he will likely be told to chase the violent crimes first. And since there are an abundant amount of violent crime in NC, that will be low on the priority list.

This is what happens when we elect liberals and RINOS.

Again, I don’t like it at all. But real life these days.

Documented in a FB marketplace ad. How hard is it to look up retail pricing on tools when you know make and model? Stolen from a business, purchase records are probably intact within some type of accounting system, credit card record, or similar, auditable resource. And we didn't even talk about the damage to the vehicle. That's a firm number, too.

If the seller is the thief, or an immediate fence, seems like an easy case. Possession of more than $1000 worth of stolen goods is also a felony in NC.

If everybody throws up their hands and says "too hard to bring a case," before starting an investigation, thieving is a very profitable endeavor.

Start arresting a person or two and see who starts singing. No honor among thieves, right?
You're right on all points. This is an easy case. The hard part is locating the seller. But if you meet in person, the dominoes will start falling

Dang… I’m hearing this is common at hotels across the nation.

I try to park close to the front entry and also scout out security cameras. I’ve been fortunate thus far

Sorry for your experience, I hate a thief!

trailers are getting stolen left and right too. I was delivering hyrdaulic dump trailers a few years back and started staying at airbnb's away from the interestates to deter theft

IF you drive to Durham NC, to set up a purchase, I would be prepared to contact the police and advise them you need an officer at your location because you are making a citizens arrest.

The charge is possession of stolen property.
I seriously contemplated it...until about three in the morning!

Not what I said at all.
I’m just bringing reality to the discussion.
Just curious, are the serial numbers in the FB ad? Is there a documented paper trail?

Did you know that some (maybe all) tool manufacturers use the same serial number for the entire days/weeks/months run?

Yeah, me neither till we tried to make that case.

Quick research Dewalt only uses model numbers, my Ryobi tools don’t have serial numbers, and I don’t remember one on my new Milwaukee Impact I got for Christmas. Shoes are off for the night and I’m not going out to the shop to confirm. I think what we call serial numbers are really only run or batch numbers.
I’m sure there are exceptions.

Makes making the case almost impossible.

If found out they will plead to a misdemeanor, that is if he/she/it doesn’t get a lawyer. Probably be dropped with a decent one.

Durham is a large dense population area, the crime rate is what you can expect for an area that big. Even if the investigator wants to, without some clout, he will likely be told to chase the violent crimes first. And since there are an abundant amount of violent crime in NC, that will be low on the priority list.

This is what happens when we elect liberals and RINOS.

Again, I don’t like it at all. But real life these days.
To the best of my knowledge, Hilti uses unique serial numbers, I have every purchase receipts with numbers, and Hilti has record of them on our account - they look them up when we go to buy replacement parts. All of this being said, I have no realistic expectation of getting the tools back...I just want the prick that took them to pay, unfortunately it sounds like that probably won't happen either.

Back
Top Bottom