• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

squirrel hunting advice

i prefer to wait til its cooler, the season goes thru Feb. when i hunted them as a kid, i had a squirrel pin,like a big safety pin. if its hot,dont bag them. i takes very little time for them to go south.try and take a kid if you can. love me some country fried squirrel, but you cant go wrong with gravy,potatoes, and carrots. about the best squirrel i have ever had was with dad,cooked on a stick over a fire we built.
best way to find them is to sit in your deer stand, they almost jump on you. just sit by a tree and enjoy, they are always out and about...

i prefer to wait til its cooler, the season goes thru Feb. when i hunted them as a kid, i had a squirrel pin,like a big safety pin. if its hot,dont bag them. i takes very little time for them to go south.try and take a kid if you can. love me some country fried squirrel, but you cant go wrong with gravy,potatoes, and carrots. about the best squirrel i have ever had was with dad,cooked on a stick over a fire we built.
best way to find them is to sit in your deer stand, they almost jump on you. just sit by a tree and enjoy, they are always out and about...
how do they go south when its warmer? just not being cool?

looking to hunt squirrel for the first time this year. I live basically right across the street from paulding forest so thats where I will be going. I will be using my 10-22 takedown suppressed and I have a few questions
1. whats the best times of the day
2. do you clean them as you go and carry them in a bag or do them all at once at the end of the day
3. dumplings/stew or fried?
4. say you only get two one day can you freeze them to add to kills from another day to feed a few more people?
5. this is a long shot but does anyone know of any sweet spots for them at paulding forest?

1 AM- noon, late pm
2 clean when you get home.
I usually put mine in a bucket of water, this will reduce the amount of hair that gets on the meat. (wet hair doesn't fly around and stick to the meat)
I also keep a container of water to rinse my hands in during the cleaning process. I have found that it's easier to keep the hair off the meat, than get it off.
3 For dumplings, I cook mine for about 18 minutes in a pressure cooker, then debone the meat. If you over cook it the bones will be mixed in with the meat but at 18
minutes, the skeleton tend to stay together until tugged on.
Fried or grilled, but only if they are the young ones.
4 I freeze mine in freezer bags in water. be sure to vent all the air out of the bag, and lay on a flat pane to freeze.
(buy the generic freezer bags they don't leak like Zip-Loc.)
5 Go scouting and find where they are cutting the hickory nuts or pine cones. Set up away from the tree, or you will get a crick in you neck from looking up. lol
The better you camo the better your success and be very quiet.

Look for a hickory with fresh nut shells under it. Sit and watch the tree top for limbs shaking. Sometimes all you will see are shell pieces falling. Keep watching til you see a limb move UP HIGH. The riper nuts are at the top. They will use one or two trees in the middle of other hickories. I call these "grocery trees". I`ve shot several out of the same tree many mornings/evenings. I use a scoped .22 or.22 mag. After deer season late evenings they will feed on the ground. You probably won`t find wolves in them for another two weeks or so. When I shoot one with wolves I quit til after deer season.

Back
Top Bottom