• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Stop beating up on people for saying "clip"

I just dont see why so many people get so pissy when someone calls it a clip. Everyone knows what they are talking about and according to websters they are one in the same. On a side note, my grandfather was issued a M1 and later a M14 and he still called them clips for all firearm magazines regardless.

And as an antagonist I am only going to call them "clips" from now on. Really who is confused and doent know what I am talking about.

Gonna do the same here poppy. If I had it, I'd list some M1A clips for $10 each and see who cares what the h*** I called them.

edit to change hell to h***, didn't think that would come through. :)

A magazine is for storing ammunition, or munitions. IE a gun magazine (ships magazine etc). A clip is not a magazine, and a magazine is not a clip. They are not interchangeable That's like selling a "bullet proof vest" its not a bullet proof vest, its not a gas mask, its a protective mask and its body armor.

It's not slang; it's just wrong. It's not much different than calling a Glock 21 a rifle. Or a Ford F150 a car. Slang? Nope...just wrong.
If you take a look at it without emotion, you will see that something CAN have a nickname that is the not-precise definition of that thing, rather something else. It is not uncommon for the name of a the previous "technology" is used as the nickname of it's replacement.

I'll give you a couple of examples.

1) When your cell phone notifies you with sound of an incomming call, do you call that a "Ring"? This is a nickname for the sound created by the pizo-electric element in the device. You do know it does not literally ring, right?

2) If you use a digital camera, have you ever been concerned about "shutter speed"? Digital cameras do not have shutters, how can they have shutter speed?

3) Do you have a Dashboard in your car? If you said yes then chastise yourself. Cars have not had dashboard for many decades. What you have is an is an instrument panel.

Last edited:
Which is the D-bag?

1. Dear seller,

I will pay your full asking price and drive to you. By the way how many clips does it have?

2. Dear buyer,

This firearm does not have "clips" it does however come with 3 magazines.

Which is the D-bag?

1. Dear seller,

I will pay your full asking price and drive to you. By the way how many clips does it have?

2. Dear buyer,

This firearm does not have "clips" it does however come with 3 magazines.

There is no argument here. There is no firearm in which to designate whether it takes a mag or clip. But given the amount of black rifle god's and tacticool ODTers on here, I would have say #1.

Back
Top Bottom