Straw purchase

If I am selling a gun to someone I am selling it to that person. What he does with it is none of my business. If the person who hands me the cash has a Georgia drivers license and I feel that he is legally able to own a firearm I have no reason to no go through with the sale. Who that person decides to gift/sell that gun to is not my business. Everyone has their opinion on the matter and I see it all directions, just like bill of sales it's none of my business, I just want to sell the gun so I can buy another or pay for whatever else I am selling for. Now I would prefer for the person I am selling the gun too to just not tell me but if he gets a little excited and says something I just right it off, usually by that point the money and gun has already exchanged hands anyways.

No I didn't as I generally only deal with folks I know.

But I will tell you that I'm going to be more careful from now on. How "reasonable" is defined depends on the DA and the Judge - I'm not taking the risk. Again, y'all do what you want but with these "I'm buying for someone else" deals lately, my alarm bells are ringing real loud. I just wanted folks to think about this before someone maybe gets trapped. We're all adults and can decide to do business any way we see fit and I'm not telling anyone what to do or not to do.

If they don't tell you, no harm no foul as you had no idea they were merely a middle man or agent. It's knowing before the deal takes place which puts the liability square on you...

Last edited:
I know what you mean about it being a weird environment for selling guns these days, I am more careful than before too since all this panic started. Really though I havent even been looking to sell anything lately so I have been distanced from it for the most part.

My daughter is a lawyer and I'm going to ask her about this if I get the chance this weekend. Common sense tells me what her answer will be (hope she doesn't charge me a consultation fee)...

NGIB do you have a link to the wording in the GA law? i cant find it. I wanted to read it for myself but can only find reference to dealers, not private sales.

NGIB do you have a link to the wording in the GA law? i cant find it. I wanted to read it for myself but can only find reference to dealers, not private sales.

§ 16-11-113. Offense of transferring firearm to individual other than actual buyer

Any person who attempts to solicit, persuade, encourage, or entice any dealer to transfer or otherwise convey a firearm other than to the actual buyer, as well as any other person who willfully and intentionally aids or abets such person, shall be guilty of a felony. This Code section shall not apply to a federal law enforcement officer or a peace officer, as defined in Code Section 16-1-3, in the performance of his or her official duties or other person under such officer's direct supervision.

Note that "dealer" is undefined. One would assume that to mean FFL dealer. However given the penalty, I will err to the side of caution.

Last edited:
Wouldnt that only apply to dealers though, and not private sellers? I figured they just copied the wording of the federal statute on this.

Back
Top Bottom