• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Straw Purchase???

Status
Not open for further replies.
As Stateline said above. I'm in Auto finance and am familiar with what a "straw purchase" is defined as. It also goes on to state that if you are financing an item, you cannot then turn and re-finance the same item to another party who is unable to secure their own financing. Which I don't see being the case here.

On another note, I would simply sell to the person who will be making the trip, then let the rest fall on him. If he is the 3rd parties friend, he should have no problem paying you in full to make the transaction for his buddy. Just my $.02 though...

There is no straw sale in private sales. Straw sales are when a person buys a gun from an FFL, fills out the 4473 and passes the background check, all with the intent to sell or give the gun to an individual who is ineligible to own and/or to pass the background check. Just ask the friend of your buyer to show you their ID to ascertain he is a GA. resident, ask him if he is a felon, if he says he is not, take the money and tell him he just bought aa gun from you. What he does with the gun after that is his business. If you are ever questioned about the gun by some govt. authority, say "I sold the gun to so and so who was a Ga. resident and said he was not a felon."

fyi, regarding FFL transfers, it can still be a straw purchase, even if all parties can lawfully own firearms.

"In some instances,
a straw purchaser is used because
the actual purchaser is prohibited
from acquiring the firearm. That is to
say, the actual purchaser is a felon or is
within one of the other prohibited categories
of persons who may not lawfully
acquire firearms or is a resident of a
State other than that in which the licensee's
business premises is located.
Because of his or her disability, the person
uses a straw purchaser who is not