• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

suggestion for backpacking long gun

Are we talking a super long time where we would be scavenging ammo, or just a few weeks? If it's just a few weeks not much ammo can easily last he whole time. I will give my thoughts once I figure out if I'm gonna have to look for ammo later on, like end of the world scenario.

If the SHTF, who knows. What would be our expectations?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

i would go with a savage model 24. i have one in .222 over 20 gauge that I would probably prefer. Or i could go with a .22 over 20 gauge, a .22 mag over .410 or one of my 22lr over .410. between the rifle, and birdshot, buckshot and slugs it is a pretty capable woods gun. I would not prefer it for any sort of defense though since its a break action double barrel.
View attachment 1048538 View attachment 1048539

Very nice rifle. But in a go bag, not sure that would fit the bill for size, and capacity. If we're thinking about the whole issue, small, compact, light weight, capacity mags, cartridge size.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

17hmr is nice, i sold my last one so i need another. can take a man,a deer,a hog, a squirrel. a rabbit and 1k rounds has almost no weight. deadly out to 300 or so yards.
as of now its a little cricket 22, small and accurate for the hunting side. wish they mad one in 17hmr...

17hmr is nice, i sold my last one so i need another. can take a man,a deer,a hog, a squirrel. a rabbit and 1k rounds has almost no weight. deadly out to 300 or so yards.
as of now its a little cricket 22, small and accurate for the hunting side. wish they mad one in 17hmr...

Check out the "Chipmunk", same as a Davey Cricket and they might still make a 17HMR. I know they did at one time, I have one in 17HMR and 22mag.

Still like my AR with a 22 conversion bolt and my glock 24 in 40 with a 9mill barrel in the bag. 4 easily scavengable calibers and carrying a good bit of ammo isn't weight excessive. I've killed deer with my AR on several occasions. Haven't practiced much with the 22 conversion bolt yet but I expect it to be ok for shorter distance small game. The glock 24 is a great pistol. Very accurate and good mag capacity for close quarters.

Hey, did you get that threaded Crickett that was listed yesterday? LOL

Seriously though, I'd love to have one like that to put my Sparrow on. It's small, lightweight and a .22lr can take a down just about any critter you're gonna find in Georgia.

As far as the guns I actually own, it would be a toss up between my Savage FV-SR and my Norinco ATD. Both shoot .22lr, so I can carry plenty of ammo.

The Norinco is a take down and it's lighter than the Savage, but it only has iron sights. The Savage is heavier and harder to hide, but it has a threaded barrel and a scope.

Tough decision!

.357 mag combo
PICT0024.JPG
Pistolas 140.jpg

Back
Top Bottom