• Go eat some tacos

Votes: 5 20.8%

• Total voters

Lazarus

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
39   0
Reaction score
I'm really itching to get a new gun soon. I really want a 4" 1911 in 9mm as I'm thinking of something to carry. I've been looking hard at the Kimber Pro Carry II and a Springfield Range Officer Champion. I have no experience with SA 1911s but I understand they are pretty decent. I've owned a Kimber Custom II in .45 that ran flawless, so despite a lot of negative opinions of Kimbers I've found their low end guns to be solid, tight and absolutely beautiful.

I've also recently learned that Colt has a 4.25 commander in 9mm so thats an option too. Ultimately I wanted a Dan Wesson Guardian in 9mm because of the bobtail but I'm thinking for now I'll get a cheaper offering and if I like carrying the 1911 then I can move up into the DW.

What is the opinion of the masses?

Interestingly, I had a similar experience with my Kimber. Runs like a sewing machine. I had a Range Officer in 9mm and was generally pretty happy with it. The sights needed a little adjustment from the factory, but it ran reliably and I miss it. It'll get replaced one of these days. I was looking at a Rock Island Tactical in 9mm as a replacement. It was something to the order of $483. I'd probably scoop up something like that and save up for a Colt or DW.

Interestingly, I had a similar experience with my Kimber. Runs like a sewing machine. I had a Range Officer in 9mm and was generally pretty happy with it. The sights needed a little adjustment from the factory, but it ran reliably and I miss it. It'll get replaced one of these days. I was looking at a Rock Island Tactical in 9mm as a replacement. It was something to the order of $483. I'd probably scoop up something like that and save up for a Colt or DW.

So which would you rather have the Kimber or the Range Officer?

Save for a Dan Wesson Guardian 9mm. Nicer weapon than either of my Kimbers (pricier too). They are great shooters and fit and finish is outstanding. Only thing mi e doesn't like are my Speer 147 gr subs. Too long and flat nosed to make it happy.

So which would you rather have the Kimber or the Range Officer?
I would go with the Range Officer mainly based on price point. Your ultimate goal is a DW, so by going cheaper, you get your 9mm and leave more budget available toward a higher end gun.

I would go with the Range Officer mainly based on price point. Your ultimate goal is a DW, so by going cheaper, you get your 9mm and leave more budget available toward a higher end gun.

Yea i get what youre saying. The Kimber and the RO are about the same in price.

I have a Kimber and a Rock Island commander length in 9 MM. Both shoot well but the Kimber is a little more picky on feeding ammo. Shoots well but you have to find ammo that works with it. (That is just my observation. I haven't heard that wide spread.)

An option you didn't list is Ruger. I believe they make their Commander length in 9 MM.

Depending on how patient you are, if you are going to go Kimber or Colt I would save for a little longer and go with the Dan Wesson.

Yea i get what youre saying. The Kimber and the RO are about the same in price.
TBH I didn't even think about price shopping at all when I got the Range Officer. It had better availability at the time and Springfield was running a promotion that included several free magazines with the purchase of a new pistol. It's something they do about every or every other year, so if you aren't in a rush, that's something to look out for. I also hear that SA has better CS support for their products as opposed to Kimber.

Back
Top Bottom