• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Suppressed, SBR upper question

chromedome82

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
87   0
Reaction score
Alright guys, I'm within a 3-4 months of making my next couple NFA purchases. Figured I would ask the experts and gain some new knowledge in the process...

Question 1) I'm going to SBR my current lower ( depending on funds I may buy factory rifle) and make me a CQB type ar that will be ran suppressed 98% of the time. I'm not trying to start a war between DI or piston but would like to know if piston is the way to go when running a suppressed set up with an 10.3" to 11.5" barreled upper. I've heard that due to the piston system that there is minimal to no blow back whuch would be great for the host and the shooter.

Question 2) I'm not wanting this to be a "What's the best 5.56 can made in the whole world" but rather an, inform me of your personal experience with said suppressors. What I think I have it narrowed down to are the Liberty Torch QA ( pros- QA option, price point, said to have been metered quieter than the rest, Liberty CS is 2nd to none; cons- only can be used on 11.5" bbl and up, not user serviceable) and AAC M4-2000 ( pros: umm everyone recommeds it for some reason; cons- not user serviceable, price, no multi host QA system I'm aware of.)

Once again, I'm looking for actual input by ppl whom have used these products and not just heard anout them from somebody who kjow somebody that watched a person use them. Thanks in advance ladies and gents.

Take a look at the AAC SDN-6. It meters very well with 5.56, and you can throw it on a 7.62 gun. It has the QD mount as well as being made for SBR. Bullseye in Lawrenceville has some really good prices on them as well.

Libertys torch is heavy ,and long ,but it is pretty quiet though . Well all of libertys cans are heavy .As far as blow back I run non piston hard with a can ,and dont have any problems.And as far as sound goes 1 or 2 dbs wont be noticed by your ear .

Take a look at the AAC SDN-6. It meters very well with 5.56, and you can throw it on a 7.62 gun. It has the QD mount as well as being made for SBR. Bullseye in Lawrenceville has some really good prices on them as well.

Do you know if the AAC QA system can be operated if it is under the handgaurd? Maybe by inserting something through the cooling vents to release it.

Libertys torch is heavy ,and long ,but it is pretty quiet though . Well all of libertys cans are heavy .As far as blow back I run non piston hard with a can ,and dont have any problems.And as far as sound goes 1 or 2 dbs wont be noticed by your ear .

The first and only 5.56 suppressor I've heard was the Torch and that was a couple years back. I have the Kodiak TL which is crazy light and stupid quiet so its hard for me to imagine anything different with the rest of the line up.

That actually brings up another question, am I going to be disappointed with suppressed 5.56 apposed to 22lr. I realize I will have the sonic crack but is it still worth dropping the coin on?

Last edited:
The Torch is a bit heavier and longer, but quieter than the SDN-6 and @ a $975.00 price point( No mount) the Liberty may be better for you.
Also demo a Constitution, you can take it apart and is shorter than the Torch, this is a direct thread mount, no Q.D.

There's the chief. Do you have an AAC m4-2000 demo at the moment? Also, is there a way around the 11.5" barrel length for the QD version of the Torch? I want to try to mantain as much of the ballistics as possible while still keeping the package light and short. Huh, how many men you hear say that in their lifetime?!

Do you know if the AAC QA system can be operated if it is under the handgaurd? Maybe by inserting something through the cooling vents to release it.

The first and only 5.56 suppressor I've heard was the Torch and that was a couple years back. I have the Kodiak TL which is crazy light and stupid quiet so its hard for me to imagine anything different with the rest of the line up.

That actually brings up another question, am I going to be disappointed with suppressed 5.56 apposed to 22lr. I realize I will have the sonic crack but is it still worth dropping the coin on?

Not 22 quiet ,but its worth it .I hate shooting without a can now .

I'm starting to sound sound like a broken record but i love my torch qa. Mount is rock solid and the can is quiet as can be.

You can get around the 11.5 barrel requirement by using a yhm phantom mount. I do this on my sbr'd acr. It works great. Doesn't really save you a whole lot in over all length though as the liberty mount goes back over the muzzle more.

To be honest, yes you will be disappointed in a sbr 556 can if you are comparing it to a 22. But if you shoot one without a can, then with one, you'll never shoot it unsuppressed again. I know I don't.

Back
Top Bottom