• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Suppressed, SBR upper question

I have a 10.5 PWS piston sbr and a 10.3 DD mk18 DI sbr. The piston gun can go triple the time between cleanings. I don't really notice a difference in sound or blowback, other than the cleaning maintenance. I suggest the piston gun.

I also run a SDN-6 on them and I don't recommend it. I have a brake on the DD and flash hider mount on the piston gun. They both wobble like crazy and I hate it. Probably doesn't make any difference in accuracy but when I put this much money into them, I expect better. The liberty will not fit or I would have got it.

I'm waiting on a colt 6933 with a 11.5 barrel and it will have a liberty on it. I wish they made one a little lighter but for now it's what we got.

I have a 10.5 PWS piston sbr and a 10.3 DD mk18 DI sbr. The piston gun can go triple the time between cleanings. I don't really notice a difference in sound or blowback, other than the cleaning maintenance. I suggest the piston gun.

I also run a SDN-6 on them and I don't recommend it. I have a brake on the DD and flash hider mount on the piston gun. They both wobble like crazy and I hate it. Probably doesn't make any difference in accuracy but when I put this much money into them, I expect better. The liberty will not fit or I would have got it.

I'm waiting on a colt 6933 with a 11.5 barrel and it will have a liberty on it. I wish they made one a little lighter but for now it's what we got.

What is it that keeps the Torch from fitting correctly? Are you refering to the QD model or the thread mount?

No ear pro quiet?
When we metered a 7" 5.56 SBR with a thread mount Torch,(7"Not covered under warranty)
It was around 132-133 db. That was hearing safe @ 1 meter from the ear. So no hearing pro needed.

Also, I don't have any AAC cans to demo at the moment, they are all customers product.

What is the shortest warranted length for the Torch? Also will it harm the can if left on the rifle? I plan on making this my HD setup and when seconds count there's really no time to screw on a can. The rifle and suppressor threads would be cleaned and oiled after each range trip and probably be taken out of the safe regularly to be fondled.

Not sure what Dave warranties them down to. But they are tough as nails, and the square bore helps with the wear.

I wouldnt run a can on anything much shorter than a 10.5 though. You lose a lot of reliability, and fps on the round when you get that short. I recommend 11.5 as it is a little easier on your bcg, can, etc.

On the fitment, a Torch will fit on ANY rifle you can get a YHM Phantom mount on. You dont HAVE to use the Liberty mount. The YHM one locks up just as solid.

On hearing protection, I've never metered mine, but I still prefer to wear wear ears with mine. The sonic crack alone is loud. And I dont want to be deaf when Im old. To me, the main benefit of the can on my SBR is concussion elimination. On my ACR i dont wear ears.

What is it that keeps the Torch from fitting correctly? Are you refering to the QD model or the thread mount?

The rails are what keeps the QA liberty model from attaching. I would not use a thread mount can on a 223 gun. The SDN-6 works fine on the 10.5 barrel. It had a lot of wobble on both the brake and FH 51t mounts but I fixed it. I think the liberty will work with the 11.5 barrel but you better check. If you want the 10.5 or 10.3 barrel, you will have to get something other than the liberty. But if you want the 11.5 barrel, it may work. The liberty weighs more and is longer but it doesn't bother some people and their customer service is light years ahead of AAC. There are other options too. Select your barrel length first and go from there

I also felt better going with a 308 can instead off 223. I've heard these really short barrels don't stabilize the bullet quite so well and having a little more clearance inside the can made me feel better about avoiding baffle strikes

What I want to see Dave make is a Titanium constitution

Last edited:
Again, you CAN use the liberty torch QA on barrels shorter than 11.5. You just use the YHM mount. Trust me, I do this on my 12.5" ACR.

The only way it wouldn't work on an 11.5'' barrel is if you have a very skinny rail all the way out to the end of the barrel. The liberty mount reflexes over the barrel only to the end of the .740" step on most barrels. About an inch back from the shoulder. It will slide inside most rails.

Again, you CAN use the liberty torch QA on barrels shorter than 11.5. You just use the YHM mount. Trust me, I do this on my 12.5" ACR.

The only way it wouldn't work on an 11.5'' barrel is if you have a very skinny rail all the way out to the end of the barrel. The liberty mount reflexes over the barrel only to the end of the .740" step on most barrels. About an inch back from the shoulder. It will slide inside most rails.

Meh, too much hassle for me. I tried several methods and couldn't get any to work and wasted a little money experimenting. Plus, I like the mount tat liberty designed. It's pretty different and a nice idea I think. It was part of the attraction to te liberty system but ha,TA just me. I'm still thinking about getting one to use on my 16" barrels

MAn you gotta check out YHM QD SS or Ti cans...full welds full auto rated, same dBs of AAC little over half the price. I love my 7.62 ss can and have a 9mm that has been awesome going on 8yrs with 4k plus rds.

Back
Top Bottom