Survival and Nuclear Plants

greghaa

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
8   0
Reaction score
I have been looking into shtf scenarios for a while now and recently came across some info that is disturbing.
Apparently all nuclear plants in the US require a electrical grid connection. Certainly the plants have backup generators
and battery backup and all sorts of redundant power systems. What I have learned is that once that is depleted
the grid has to come back. If not, then the pumps that pump water or other materials used for cooling will
stop functioning and ultimately lead to a meltdown. That would probably take 2 to 3 weeks if that long?

Anyways, I am wondering how much of this is true. I have read about this topic on news sites and it has been brought up
even in Congress. It seems to be a non-issue based on the idea that the grid will always be there. I don't have to
list for you all how many ways the grid can go away for a while or forever.

I skimmed this and apparently there is truth to this???

http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2012...ossibility-of-global-nuclear-catastrophe.html

Georgia is firmly planted in a fallout zone or more than one even.

http://www.nukepills.com/nuclear-reactor-maps.htm

Far as I can tell we are all screwed in a real doomsday scenario. Anyone have any input or am I completely wrong
about this?

Any input from you all would be appreciated. Am I preparing for the wrong thing? Be safe at home...
Maybe I should be preparing to move to Wyoming...

Thanks

--

I'm sure they've though of that. Surely there is some sort of emergency or automatic shutdown if XYZ happens.

Pure speculation, but it would make sense.

if they were to all blow up then the safest spot would be Wyoming from that maps specifications
i wonder how the gun laws are there?

This may be a completely ignorant response, without researching, but I believe as a citizen of Wyoming, you're required to carry at least a rifle and a pistol at all times.

The public needs to be educated on nuclear plants and how safe they really are. I will pray for those that are PARANOID about nuclear zombies. Nuclear Plants have backup systems for back up systems that are redundant. They have emergency diesel generators usually two per unit, that start and run full throttle in under 30 seconds if the unit "trips" and there is a loss of onsite power. This is mandated by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission. If nuclear plants can not comply with the mandated safety measures implied by the NRC, the NRC will take the keys to the plant away from the utility company that owns it, bottom line, that's it. All plants have enough diesel to supply emergency generators which will supply power to all necessary systems to safely shut down and completely cool a reactor. In a last ditch effort fubar scenario, a computer will take over and manage all of the necessary systems to safely shut the reactor and all of it's components down while maintaining a cooling system to completely cool the reactor. There are seismic restraints on all systems in all plants that are considered to be in an area where an earthquake is probable.

I personally can not say the word redundant enough to describe how SAFE nuclear plants are.
I so wished the unbiased media would stop scaring the hell out of the public when it comes to a nuclear plant. If they would simply educate the public on how safe they really are, this would solve alot of problems and ease the minds of so many people.

Granted there have been events, such as Three Mile Island for instance where it was human error. A major catastrophe was on the verge of happening but it could have been prevented because it was caused by a simple human error. It was a milestone changing event throughout the entire nuclear industry. I can promise you this, the nuclear industry changed drastically because of that one event. The NRC mandated so many things to all nuclear plants and to all of their employees after that regarding safety, human performance training, procedure adherence, I could go on and on. Sometimes prosperity does come with a price tag.

Chernobyl was a disaster waiting to happen. They were forewarned by the US that it was too dangerous to even start those units up. Their safety was not their priority and wasn't even considered when the plant was up and running. It was ran by the government.

The most recent was in Japan, IMO-it was a very stupid idea to build that plant where it was built. They had all of the safety systems that were "required" but no one can predict a tsunami disaster like that to happen, but it did. The water washed away the backup systems and emergency systems which caused a disaster. Who could have predicted that? answer: no one

IMO---
Final thoughts: Nuclear Energy is the safest and most economical form of producing electricity there is. The only people who are against nuclear energy are either the ones that can't compete with it and the ones that don't fully understand it's concept which makes them afraid of it.

Final advice: If the shiot does hit the fan, what are YOU going to do about it? my answer: not a DAMN thing

Last edited:
Ummmm....Mrlinebacker sir, Chernobyl wasn't a nuclear meltdown. It was from the Decepticons. Didn't you see Transformers: Dark of the Moon? Hello? :D

Sorry, couldn't resist.

You saved me a lot of typing.
The first post looked like a production of mass media. LOL
The human error was fixed, now there has to be at least three human errors to get it headed South.

The public needs to be educated on nuclear plants and how safe they really are. I will pray for those that are PARANOID about nuclear zombies. Nuclear Plants have backup systems for back up systems that are redundant. They have emergency diesel generators usually two per unit, that start and run full throttle in under 30 seconds if the unit "trips" and there is a loss of onsite power. This is mandated by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission. If nuclear plants can not comply with the mandated safety measures implied by the NRC, the NRC will take the keys to the plant away from the utility company that owns it, bottom line, that's it. All plants have enough diesel to supply emergency generators which will supply power to all necessary systems to safely shut down and completely cool a reactor. In a last ditch effort fubar scenario, a computer will take over and manage all of the necessary systems to safely shut the reactor and all of it's components down while maintaining a cooling system to completely cool the reactor. There are seismic restraints on all systems in all plants that are considered to be in an area where an earthquake is probable.

I personally can not say the word redundant enough to describe how SAFE nuclear plants are.
I so wished the unbiased media would stop scaring the hell out of the public when it comes to a nuclear plant. If they would simply educate the public on how safe they really are, this would solve alot of problems and ease the minds of so many people.

Granted there have been events, such as Three Mile Island for instance where it was human error. A major catastrophe was on the verge of happening but it could have been prevented because it was caused by a simple human error. It was a milestone changing event throughout the entire nuclear industry. I can promise you this, the nuclear industry changed drastically because of that one event. The NRC mandated so many things to all nuclear plants and to all of their employees after that regarding safety, human performance training, procedure adherence, I could go on and on. Sometimes prosperity does come with a price tag.

Chernobyl was a disaster waiting to happen. They were forewarned by the US that it was too dangerous to even start those units up. Their safety was not their priority and wasn't even considered when the plant was up and running. It was ran by the government.

The most recent was in Japan, IMO-it was a very stupid idea to build that plant where it was built. They had all of the safety systems that were "required" but no one can predict a tsunami disaster like that to happen, but it did. The water washed away the backup systems and emergency systems which caused a disaster. Who could have predicted that? answer: no one

IMO---
Final thoughts: Nuclear Energy is the safest and most economical form of producing electricity there is. The only people who are against nuclear energy are either the ones that can't compete with it and the ones that don't fully understand it's concept which makes them afraid of it.

Final advice: If the shiot does hit the fan, what are YOU going to do about it? my answer: not a DAMN thing

Back
Top Bottom