Survival and Nuclear Plants

I have never been physically forced to take a shower, but the only time that I ever had to take a shower was: I was pulling an MSIV on the inboard side, OPS had signed off that there was a vaccum in the main steam line, however when the valve was pulled I felt a nice little breeze, got a snoot full and said "ah shiot". 2 showers later, I was good to go but had to wait 5 days before I could return to the "can" because of internal contamination.
No, my turds didn't glow and I am fine.

I am not paranoid, nor am I losing sleep. I was really just asking questions. I find a little disappointing that I am being attacked as spreading fear and all of this. The idea that these plants require a grid connection is a little disconcerting. I brought it up in this forum as I am sure many of you must know about this and being "preppers" or whatever figured I could get some more insight.
If here is not the place to ask these types of questions then where?

Don't sweat it greghaa. Some people one here get really excited when they get the chance to discuss something they know a lot about. Kinda like those super tactical guys who look through gun pics and call people out who don't have the safety on. No one ment anything by. I think obtaining an education on the engineering of a nuclear power plant would be excessive, since you have a forum like this to ask these questions.

I have been looking into shtf scenarios for a while now and recently came across some info that is disturbing.
Apparently all nuclear plants in the US require a electrical grid connection. Certainly the plants have backup generators
and battery backup and all sorts of redundant power systems. What I have learned is that once that is depleted
the grid has to come back. If not, then the pumps that pump water or other materials used for cooling will
stop functioning and ultimately lead to a meltdown. That would probably take 2 to 3 weeks if that long?

Anyways, I am wondering how much of this is true. I have read about this topic on news sites and it has been brought up
even in Congress. It seems to be a non-issue based on the idea that the grid will always be there. I don't have to
list for you all how many ways the grid can go away for a while or forever.

I skimmed this and apparently there is truth to this???

http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2012...ossibility-of-global-nuclear-catastrophe.html

Georgia is firmly planted in a fallout zone or more than one even.

http://www.nukepills.com/nuclear-reactor-maps.htm

Far as I can tell we are all screwed in a real doomsday scenario. Anyone have any input or am I completely wrong
about this?

Any input from you all would be appreciated. Am I preparing for the wrong thing? Be safe at home...
Maybe I should be preparing to move to Wyoming...

Thanks

--

I have thought about this myself.

If the "grid" would go down for any extended time I think GA would be Glowing from radiation.

Don't sweat it greghaa. Some people one here get really excited when they get the chance to discuss something they know a lot about. Kinda like those super tactical guys who look through gun pics and call people out who don't have the safety on. No one ment anything by. I think obtaining an education on the engineering of a nuclear power plant would be excessive, since you have a forum like this to ask these questions.

Exactly. Plus an opportunity to 'insert' Fusion propaganda.

no worries, we are all safe

***temporary subject re-direction only to make a point

The majority of us have a potiential bomb in our homes, but the chance of them exploding is not probable because they are SAFE, just like a nuclear plant, but the potential is always there. I bring this up because no one ever gives it much thought until you read about one blowing up a house. Same goes for nuclear plants, they are safe until the media gets ahold of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom