Survival Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

CraigMo

Default rank <750 posts Lifetime Supporter
Frontiersman
54   0
Reaction score
So, a buddy has proposed a week in the North Georgia mountains in September, bring 1 day of food and whatever tools you care to carry. No electronics. Magnetic compass and map, dropped off at point A, picked up at point B. A pistol of any caliber is allowed, and a rifle, legal for the season.
Carry your shelter, water, whatever else you think you need.
I've been camping a lot, hiked a fair bit in the Colorado mountains, 11000 ft. and above.
I plan to do a lot of walking exercise, inclined treadmill wearing a ruck.
So far my list is....
Eberlestocke backpack
.22 Magnum rifle, .45 Glock
Daiwa backpack fishing pole, I plan to travel as much as possible near, and loiter near water features when travel permits, also lures, hooks, enough to set a few brush hooks when feasible
Katahdin water filter, 3l Camelback, lifestraw, several collapsible 1l water bags
Small tent.
Light sleeping bag
Stainless wire
A couple good knives and whetstone
Small Fiskars hatchet
E-tool
Bic lighter and fire steel/ magnesium
Ranger beads
Couple small light sources, headlamp, little lantern, flashlight
Whistle
Grease pen for updating map
Titanium solo stove and pots that all nest together
A couple books on edible plants, that I've been reading and paying attention to when in the woods.
A few changes of clothes, many pairs of socks
Wet wipes
Thoughts? I fully expect to be at a calorie deficit the whole time, trying to minimize it, for energy levels and positive mental attitude. We'll be traveling in pairs.
I'll probably insist on being allowed to bring a SPOT or other emergency locator. Accidents happen.
What else would you add as must-have and nice-to-have? What are your thoughts on best sources of calories at that time of year?

check the hunting seasons where and when you go. If it’s deer firearms season and it overlaps with small game season, I’d leave the 22 magnum and bring a 12 gauge with shot and slugs. One deer oughta feed ya good for a week. Learn how to preserve the meat and bring a lot of salt. I’d also find and bring one of those lightweight calapsable fishing poles.

I would refine and eliminate your gear as much as possible. When we plan long outings we always tend to bring too much gear, but weight can be a killer especially when your hiking everyday. Cut as much weight from your pack as you can.

A week is really not that long, as long as you have acces to water you’ll be fine even without much food. September weather is temperate too so that should save you a lot of gear.

Some essential gear that many might miss: Bring extra socks and an extra pair of boots/ shoes. In this short time frame of a week, your feet will be the most at risk for problems.

One day of food: I would pack super high calorie bars as many as can count as one day of food and spread those bars out over the whole week.

Handgun: I’d bring the lightest handgun with the highest capacity I own.

Rain can be a real problem in September so get as much waterproof gear as you can- boots shoes hat pack jacket etc. keep your stuff dry- especially your feet.

I’m going to guess it’s not a long distance between A and B, because that’s a heavy packing list. Is the point here to survive for a week or try to get to B as quickly as possible?

Things I don’t think you need:
Glock
Lifestraw, you already have a water filter
Snare wire
More than 1 knife
Hatchet, you’re not building a shelter and there’s plenty of wood around
E-tool
Lantern or flashlight, headlamp is enough
Whistle
Multiple pots
Books
More than 2 changes of clothes

Again, might be different based on your goal, but in most survival scenarios your goal is to get to point B, where point B = rescue/civilization/home/your car. If you’re looking to play Rambo in the woods then take it all!

Make sure firearms and snares are legal in the area you will be travelling.

Salt/pepper/herbs or seasonings...

<--- no idea how to survive
That is what I see many do not take...Seasoning, also Coarse Garlic and two MRE packs of Tabasco miniature size. I can not longer do it due to health issues but, If I did this during hot months, I would use a hammock with fly and rain cover. Saves a lot of weight

This somewhat seems a little silly to be called a survival trip. Just because ur planning for it. Sounds like every camping trip i go on. Hell if i had a .22 and i fishing rod i would be king. Not to mention modern shelter and cooking supplies.

I’m going to guess it’s not a long distance between A and B, because that’s a heavy packing list. Is the point here to survive for a week or try to get to B as quickly as possible?

Things I don’t think you need:
Glock
Lifestraw, you already have a water filter
Snare wire
More than 1 knife
Hatchet, you’re not building a shelter and there’s plenty of wood around
E-tool
Lantern or flashlight, headlamp is enough
Whistle
Multiple pots
Books
More than 2 changes of clothes

Again, might be different based on your goal, but in most survival scenarios your goal is to get to point B, where point B = rescue/civilization/home/your car. If you’re looking to play Rambo in the woods then take it all!
My thoughts exactly! I'm guessing that pack weight would be upwards of 50lbs easy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom