• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Survival Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you want a challenge start at Dally Gap (NW of Blue Ridge) and hike through the Cohutta Wilderness Area and finish in Cisco, GA. There are plenty of wild hogs, bears, numerous crossings of the Jacks River, steep rocky terrain, little to no cell service and the trails are not marked well.

I spend a lot of time hiking through the Cohutta cutting blow downs off the trails and it can eat your lunch very fast especially if you do not hydrate or understand how to navigate in mountainous terrain. Plan on being wet, hot and do not camp right on the river if there are thunderstorms forecasted as flash flooding, especially in the bottom of the ravines can happen in a matter of an hour.

I hiked 800 miles on the AT in 2015 and my pack was never more than 29 lbs and that was with winter clothes, food, tent sleeping bag and carrying 2 liters of water but that was a hiking trip not a survival exercise. You need to decide if you are taking a hiking trip or a survival trip. If it is survival exercise then take a knife, some paracord, a firestarter, compass and a shotgun but plan on being hungry, cold at night, hot in the day, wet and miserable.

Body Soap and a toothbrush
Maybe some soap if you have to clean your clothes in the creek old school
Lighter
Cotton w alcohol (fire starter)
Flashlights w batteries
Bug repellent
GPS perhaps?

I don't have the details on the distance, yet, it's still being researched, far enough apart that the navigation will be a challenge for some, while respecting property boundaries. I'm assuming 20-30 miles, based on previous discussion.
It's not a race. The goal is to spend a week in the woods and exercise the brain as much as the body.
40lbs is my limit, plus water weight.
Lifestraw plus filter, because stuff breaks, they're light, water is vital, especially when exerting.
Salt pepper and garlic powder are in the pile, I didn't think to list them.

You're from the flat lands, so the hills are going to kill you unless you train for them. Treadmills don't incline enough. Find a building with multiple stories and go up and down the stairs while wearing your pack. A LOT. Or walk the stairs at your local sports stadium to train for the hills.

I would carry a single change of clothes. You wear one during the day, change into the dry ones to sleep. The next day you put on the "daytime" clothes, even if they're wet. Keep your sleeping clothes dry.

Learn to use a poncho as shelter, or a tarp, as they're lighter than a tent.

Good luck, it sounds like fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom