• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Synthetic Motor Oil vs Regular Motor Oil

thevalueman

Space Force Icon Lifetime Supporter
Algonquin J. Calhoun
145   1
Reaction score
So....I have a 5.3 chevy with around 165k miles....I've been running regular oil....I thinking about moving to synthetic....good idea?? or not....if so, which type-brand....
I figure I can get some reliable info here
Thanks!!

So....I have a 5.3 chevy with around 165k miles....I've been running regular oil....I thinking about moving to synthetic....good idea?? or not....if so, which type-brand....
I figure I can get some reliable info here
Thanks!!

I recently sold a 2004 GMC Yukon that I bought new with 350,000 miles on it. It was purring like a kitten when the guy drove it away. Conventional oil all its life. Regular maintenance/oil change is the key and not so much synthetic vs conventional. 85% of it was Walmart $19.99 oil change specials after the free dealer oil changes ran out.

Synthetic is demonstrably better.

Like Cadcom Cadcom said, main thing is just maintaining it.

I agree. But it’s only better if you actually need that type of oil. Like octane in gas. If you don’t actually need super duper unleaded then you are just wasting money. Higher performace applications can make use of the synthetic properties/protections. Typical driver commuting to work and Home Depot on weekends - doubtful.

Back
Top Bottom