• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Talking to Police after a Self Defense Incident

I try to be honest with everyone including the police. So yes I would talk to them and give them my side of the story. That is just me though and it is how I roll.

I did get into an accident one time and the officer asked me what happened. Some guy tried to make a left turn into traffic and didn't see me. I said to the officer "He pulled out so fast I couldn't stop" that made it into the police report and reading it later it sounded pretty gay to me. /Sigh
lol

Wait for your lawyer. What you think is cut and dried may not be. I largely practice criminal defense and even I would not give details on the scene.

In such a situation, I would only provide my name, date of birth, social, address, and a copy of my driver's license.

BS

I did a search and found nothing on this so my question is as follows. This can be your advice as a CCW, if you are a lawyer (would love an opinion from one on the subject), really anything. Just looking for opinions/advice.

Anyway, something happens. You have to use your weapon for what is a cut and dry self defense case. Police come, do what they have to do, and of course question you at the scene or take you in to establish what happened. To you, it's obvious that you had no choice. Do you talk to the police without a lawyer there? I mean, even if its just completely cut and dry. Just to get it over with. Or do you wait for your lawyer and then explain what happened? Would it look at all incriminating if you weren't willing to talk right then and there in such a cut and dry case?

I know that if there is any question you would of course wait for your lawyer, but in a situation like above, what would the good people of ODT do? Like I said, I would love anyones input, but if a lawyer can chime in as well that would be amazing.
This is not a knock on the police, but NO. Never talk to them or give a statement without an attorney. The police officer is going to record everything said. You do not know how it can be used either by a anti-gun officer or some hungry DA. You have to say something, so if you had to defend your life, tell the officer, "He tried to kill me." If defending someone else, then state just that. Remember, unless you are an evil person, shooting/killing another person will cause you stress and may cause you to say something wrong or remember something incorrectly. Even if you avoid criminal conviction, you may have to fight a civil case and the civil attorney will have access to all reports and witnesses.

Did I mention to NOT EVER give a statement without an attorney?

The police officer is going to record everything said.

Did I mention to NOT EVER give a statement without an attorney?

And you may not even know it is being recorded. The local police (and police everywhere) routinely leave two "witnesses" alone, where upon the the "witnesses" start conferring about how to get their stories straight. The police have a phone (cell phone) stashed somewhere and are recording it -- totally permissible, totally admissible.

A cop buddy of mine would leave his on the back window ledge of his cruiser, and the two rocket scientists in the back seat would never notice it. If you weren't the defense attorney, the conversations were hilarious.

So if you are called upon to shoot someone, DON'T MAKE A STATEMENT, ARGUMENT, EXPLANATION, DISCUSS with anyone unless your attorney is standing beside you.

If you are unlucky enough to be involved in a self-defense shooting you will need professional help immediately. Literally the rest of your life and all of your money is at stake, even if you feel 100% sure you had no other choice. The legal and financial aftermath can be devastating, even if your aren't convicted of anything. Once someone is shot, fatally or not, opinions cease to matter. It is all "legal standards" at that point and you don't know what they are. ...

You're wrong on every single point there

Back
Top Bottom