• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Talking to Police after a Self Defense Incident

Been there and done that, nothing he said is true.... especially not in my case but it seems though all self defense shootings get lumped together it's different for each individual case. I'm not saying his "scenario" doesn't play out but people get struck by lightning too

Wait for your lawyer. What you think is cut and dried may not be. I largely practice criminal defense and even I would not give details on the scene.

In such a situation, I would only provide my name, date of birth, social, address, and a copy of my driver's license.
I respectfully disagree on a small part of that. I think it would be important to say I was scared for my life, and I just wanted him to stop. Beyond that I agree.

I respectfully disagree on a small part of that. I think it would be important to say I was scared for my life, and I just wanted him to stop. Beyond that I agree.
It's a given you feared for your life. The cops, in my case, were awesome, total respect for those guys. They don't start with the 50 questions out of the gate, they talk to you to make sure you're ok, give you breathing space. Apart from the obvious there was no pressure from the cops
Once the adrenaline rush is over and my brain clicked back everything was cool

Been there and done that, nothing he said is true.... especially not in my case but it seems though all self defense shootings get lumped together it's different for each individual case. I'm not saying his "scenario" doesn't play out but people get struck by lightning too
More often than not there will be a minimum of civil suit brought against the person that legally used his weapon. Even if it had no merit the person will have to defend the accusation.
And as we've seen several time in the past few years cases are now being brought based on public out cry, and not based on any specific violation of the law.

More often than not there will be a minimum of civil suit brought against the person that legally used his weapon. Even if it had no merit the person will have to defend the accusation.
And as we've seen several time in the past few years cases are now being brought based on public out cry, and not based on any specific violation of the law.
I think if my situation had happened in NY the legal outcome probably would have been different but thank God we live in the South !

It's a given you feared for your life. The cops, in my case, were awesome, total respect for those guys. They don't start with the 50 questions out of the gate, they talk to you to make sure you're ok, give you breathing space. Apart from the obvious there was no pressure from the cops
Once the adrenaline rush is over and your brain
Many departments are just that, but someone without knowledge would have no way to know which department/officer is more understanding.
That being said it doesn't really matter if you are charged criminally or not, the civil action is where you are most likely to lose based on some baseless technical mistake.

I also would include bigger more urban towns in the south. As we've seen even a good shoot will cause a public disturbance, and only an arrest calm the situation.

One only has to look at our brothers in blue to see this phenomenon.

Back
Top Bottom