• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Talking to Police after a Self Defense Incident

I've been thru it and nothing you said is correct

congrats you went through it once and it worked out well for you but that is NOT the norm and to disagree with the thought of needing an attorney is just insane. He is 100% correct that the wrong move in this situation can completely screw your life through either criminal or even more likely civil court. There are SEVERAL attorneys AND LEO who have advocated not speaking to police until you have an attorney, do you really think you know better than them because your one situation went well?

congrats you went through it once and it worked out well for you but that is NOT the norm and to disagree with the thought of needing an attorney is just insane. He is 100% correct that the wrong move in this situation can completely screw your life through either criminal or even more likely civil court. There are SEVERAL attorneys AND LEO who have advocated not speaking to police until you have an attorney, do you really think you know better than them because your one situation went well?

That's funny. You guys give "internet advice" based on this video, that video, he said/ she said, they said, but when confronted with someone who's been thru it and has a different point of view you come back with,
"do you really think you know better than them because your ONE situation went well ?"
Yeah, because I actually went thru it

Maybe some of you would NEED therapy and an attorney on speed dial. I must be cut from a different piece of cloth because I experienced something different than your paranoia theories

That's funny. You guys give "internet advice" based on this video, that video, he said/ she said, they said, but when confronted with someone who's been thru it and has a different point of view you come back with,
"do you really think you know better than them because your ONE situation went well ?"
Yeah, because I actually went thru it

Maybe some of you would NEED therapy and an attorney on speed dial. I must be cut from a different piece of cloth because I experienced something different than your paranoia theories
Except some of us are LE, lawyers, and prosecutors. YOU had a exceptionally good experience, but it doesn't make you any expert.
This is a discussion thread and it doesn't do to get Butt Hurt cause others have a different opinion...

Except some of us are LE, lawyers, and prosecutors. YOU had a exceptionally good experience, but it doesn't make you any expert.
This is a discussion thread and it doesn't do to get Butt Hurt cause others have a different opinion...
I've talked to other people that've been thru it, not one I've ever spoken with had an issue with the law or being sued by the bad guy. It's a collective paranoia

I try to be honest with everyone including the police. So yes I would talk to them and give them my side of the story. That is just me though and it is how I roll.

I did get into an accident one time and the officer asked me what happened. Some guy tried to make a left turn into traffic and didn't see me. I said to the officer "He pulled out so fast I couldn't stop" that made it into the police report and reading it later it sounded pretty gay to me. /Sigh

I've always been told to be honest as well. Although you can incriminate yourself, if you're truly in the right and have nothing to hide, I don't see how being honest would hurt you. I don't believe LE is out to get me. In most situations, I will exit if I can. A few years ago I was involved in a road rage incident. To this day, I have no idea what I did, but apparently pissed this guy off. He very violently cut me off, slammed on his brakes forcing both our vehicles to stop. He jumped out of the car and slammed his hands down on my hood. He didn't know it, but I had pulled out my pistol and was in the ready position. Luckily he had forced my vehicle to stop at a four way intersection so it was pretty easy for me to make a right hand turn and avoid that particular situation all together, which is what I did. If I had decided to take action, I probably would have some explaining to do. I know I would have been justified if I had decided to use force, but would it have been right? I don't think so. On the flip side, if a guy is lying face down in my kitchen at 2am with my door kicked in, why on earth would I not be forth right and honest with police....I hope I'm never in that situation.

I've talked to other people that've been thru it, not one I've ever spoken with had an issue with the law or being sued by the bad guy. It's a collective paranoia
I can assure you that you are not correct. Hell I've seen people get sued over cut and dry cases. Anyone with even a slight knowledge of the local news knows it's a problem.

Even a clear case of self defense will be looked at very hard to be sure the story is correct, and not a staged murder or a negligent action of some sort.

You carry a gun just to be sure, why wouldn't yo take the same care of your future.

I can assure you that you are not correct. Hell I've seen people get sued over cut and dry cases. Anyone with even a slight knowledge of the local news knows it's a problem.

Even a clear case of self defense will be looked at very hard to be sure the story is correct, and not a staged murder or a negligent action of some sort.

You carry a gun just to be sure, why wouldn't yo take the same care of your future.

When armed intruders enter your home with bad intentions, giving a **** about any law or consequenses go right out the window. Survival and the protection of your life, the lives of your family and your property are ALL that matters. Stopping those mother ****ers from killing you is priority #1

As far as just the police side of it goes, I was so overwhelmed with relief when I heard sirens coming. As I stated before "IN MY CASE" the only issue I had was with trust and anger, not with the police, but with a certain type of people that cause 55% of the crime in this nation.

Back
Top Bottom