• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info
Look at the boomers with their 45 AARP guns. Point and laugh at them. Insert modern bullet technology here.

Be me, two months ago

Hear that Federal 9mm 147gr HST is where it's at

Looking up how well they expand in ballistics gel

0.6"

nice

Recommended video on the side shows 230 grains of AARP Federal HST

Wonders how big a hole that pokes

Click on video and fast forwards

0.9"

0.9"

0.9"

Woah.

Knows that area of circle is radius squared times pi

Math

Twice as big

Twice as big

Twice as big

Pulls out live 45 AARP round I had found one day at an outdoor shooting range

Compares to live 9mm round I bought

Biggur

Stops and thinks.

Place shot correctly, doesn't matter. 22lr? 9mm? AARP? Doesn't matter.

Hit shot, but not place correctly, doesn't matter. 22lr? 9mm? AARP? Doesn't matter.

Same performance then, right?

Twice as big.

Stop and think more

Epiphany

Twice as big, twice as likely to place shot correctly

It explains everything.

Shot placement what truly matters? True.

45 AARP better than 9mm loser? Also true.

If shot placement is what matters then therefore the size of the hole being poked matters

A sinking feeling of doom creeps into my very soul

The boomers were right...

Oh no...

Needless to say, I'm now in the process of replacing my 9mm "gun" with a pistol chambered for 45 AARP. I ended up buying an HK USP and the recoil is fine even on my noodle-millenial wrists. View attachment 5357592
1676497611504.gif

Yeah, because they don’t make +p+ in 45…
I believe that all calibers have had an increase in effectiveness across the board with the new modern projectiles.
But please don’t tell the 9 mm fanboys about that.
It crushes their little hearts.
By any consistent metric that 9mm hollow points are better than 9mm FMJs, and obviously they are, so too are 45 ACP hollow points better than 9mm hollow points. Not only is this the case, but by those same metrics 45 ACP has improved in performance more than 9mm has. FMJ to FMJ 45 is something like 60% larger, but apples to apples comparisons of the best of the best hollow points has 45 hollow points being anywhere from about 75% to above 110% larger than similar 9mm hollow points.

147 grain bullets are the fashionable thing. I don't know if it's the being subsonic for suppressor use angle or if the 'heaver bullets make more out of shorter barrel lengths' notion combined with 9mm pistols that have microscopically short barrels being so popular, but 147gr 9mm is what the cool kids shoot right now.

Some day decades from now I bet 40 S&W will become fashionable again. Who knows.

Back
Top Bottom